Jambands.ca

Allman Bros. and Lynyrd Skynyrd team up for a tour

TimmyB

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. July 26, 2004, 10:30 AM ET

Southern Rock Titans Team For Tour

Two of the biggest Southern rock acts -- the Allman Brothers Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd -- will team up for a brief slate of fall tour dates. The seven-show run will kick off Oct. 1 in Raleigh, N.C., and touch down for shows in Tennessee, Oklahoma and Texas.

"The Brothers and Skynyrd on the same stage has been a fan's dream a long time coming, proving that the road goes on forever," Gregg Allman says of the plan.

The shows will be opened by a yet-to-be-determined act, followed by Skynyrd and the Allmans, both of which will turn out full sets. It is unknown if more tandem dates are being planned.

"It's hard to believe that this will be the first time we've toured together," Skynyrd guitarist Gary Rossington says. "I can't wait to hit the road with them."

Despite a shared lineage and careers dating more than three decades apiece, the legendary bands have shared the stage but once: June 1, 1974, at Atlanta's Fulton County Stadium. Dubbed the Georgia Jam, the show was headlined by the Allmans and featured Skynyrd, the Marshall Tucker Band and Grinderswitch.

"This is an American tour that's long overdue," vocalist Johnny Van Zant adds. "Both of our bands have lived through plenty of hard times, but we're still doing what we love: making music for the fans."

Both acts have full schedules leading up to the joint tour, with Lynyrd Skynryd launching its next stretch of shows Aug. 6 in Louisville, Ky., according to the band's Web site. The Allman Brothers Band's official site lists more than a month of dates, beginning with an Aug. 20 concert in Gilford, N.H.

Here are the Allman Brothers Band / Lynyrd Skynyrd tour dates:

Oct. 1: Raleigh, N.C. (Alltel Pavilion at Walnut Creek)

Oct. 2: Charlotte, N.C. (Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Charlotte)

Oct. 5: Memphis (Mud Island Amphitheatre)

Oct. 6: Oklahoma City (Zoo Amphitheatre)

Oct. 8: Dallas (Smirnoff Music Centre)

Oct. 9: The Woodlands, Texas (C.W. Mitchell Pavilion)

Oct. 10: Selma, Texas (Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre)

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

Skynyrd's a joke and I wouldn't be caught dead at one of their shows.

Of course, if this was 1976, I'd be all over this tour.

R.I.P. Dickey Betts.

Uh, Dickey Betts is still alive. In fact, he was kicked out of the Allman Brothers Band a couple of years ago (late 2002?), and is touring through August.

Aloha,

Brad