Jambands.ca

Brent Mydland died on this day 07/26/1990

TimmyB

1990 - Grateful Dead keyboardist Brent Mydland dies of a drug overdose in Lafayette, Calif., at age 38. Mydland had replaced keyboardist Keith Godchaux - who died in 1979 - who in turn had replaced Ron "Pigpen" McKernan - who died in 1973.

I only made the post about Keith Godchaux passing days earlier, Brent nearly passed on the same day as Keith a decade later.

Long is the road

We must travel on down.

Short are the legs

That will struggle behind.

I wish I knew for sure

Just where we're bound,

What we will be doin'

And what we're gonna find.

Wherever we go, there will be birds to cheer you

Flower to color in the fields around.

Wherever we go, I'll be right here near you

You can't get lost when you're always found.

I still can't beleive their keyboardist of 10+ years passes away in July, and they're back on the road come September!

Talk about "The Music Never Stopped"!

I loved Brent and can still remember when I heard of his passing. He was soulful and full of personality, and I'll never get tired of his beautiful contributions to the GD catalogue: "Far From Me", "Just A Little Light", "Easy To Love You", "Don't Need Love".... those are my favorites anyway.

Anyway, thanks, Brent for realigning my world on 03-22-90, when you gave us all chills by belting out "Hey Jude" at the end of a seriously life-transforming evening. You made me feel good that night, real good, and when I listen back to the shows and hear you sing and play, you still do brother.

RIP.

my favourite brent moments both happen on 3.29.90, the way he takes over near the end of bertha with his rousing "TEST ME! TEST ME!... why dont you arrest me!" over top of jerry, as if to say, "whoa whoa, waitasec jer, i got this one... let ole uncle brent take ya home.", and then comes right back with a beautiful We Can Run... classic brent. i was also always really impressed with the feistiness he added to early 80's era dead renditions of stuff like shakedown and mexicali blues, for example.

ahhh, good ole brent.... hope he's having a good time somewhere.