Jambands.ca

Trey on cover of Guitar World - Oct 04 -

Esau

• 3 months later...

No,thats a different article,cant seem to find the one I posted about in July.

I did find this though,which explains the article you posted.

Taken from PT: http://www.phantasytour.com/trey/articles.cgi?newsID=345

----------------------------------------------------------

Trey Anastasio Enters "Jam Central"

Source: Phantasy Tour

mail E-mail article

Posted by: dgreenhaus

Posted on: 2004-09-25 12:26:31 ET

Last Updated: 2004-09-25 12:26:31 ET

In the November issue of Guitar World Magazine, Trey Anastasio begins what is to be a monthly column on the art of "jamming".

Guitar World routinely features some of rock's biggest stars in its magazine, often times discussing how they play their signature, or most popular songs, and Trey is no different. In the current issue, Trey talks about jamming over the "Mike's Song" groove, which is in F#.

The article, and the magazine, are geared strongly towards musicians, and guitar players specifically, so much of the material discussed will seem foreign to some readers.

An excerpt from the column follows.

STARTING STATIC

Using minor pentatonic, the Dorian mode and the sharp 11 to jam on "Mike's Song"

Over the next few months, I'd like to hash out some of Phish's most memorable jams from the past two decades, starting with the one in "Mike's Song"—a static vamp in F# minor, and a shameful rip-off of Ted Nugent's "Strangehold" groove.

If you're not familiar with "Mike's Song," check out the version on Phish's 1997 live album, Slip Stitch and Pass. The song's jam section is based on a bass line in F# minor, so, naturally, you can draw licks from the F# minor pentatonic scale (F# A B C# E), like the one in FIGURE 1A. This kind of thing is cool, but I'll often add other tones, like the ninth (G#), which appears at the end of bar 1 of FIGURE 1B and suggests the Dorian mode.

The current issue also features lessons from Slayer's Kerry King and Ozzy guitarist Zakk Wylde.