Jambands.ca

Coventry....

dancingbear

I posted this a while ago....anyone hear anything recently....

THE coventry THANK YOU PROJECT

CONCEPT: On the occasion of the final Phish show, Sunday August 15, give the band a thank you gift. We will give one "gift," through crowd participation, at the start of each of the 3 sets of the final Phish show.

INGREDIENTS: Every person at coventry -- i.e., as many as possible -- walks into the final show with three things: (1) a flower, (2) a balloon, and (3) a candle.

Ideally every coventry attendee will get this message and bring a flower and a balloon and a candle, but realistically, we can expect to get this message via internet to probably 50-70% of attendees. Therefore, those who have the means are requested to bring extras -- get a bouquet of cheap flowers, a bag of balloons, and/or a bag of candles, and hand them out before the show to those who are without.

EXECUTION:

PHASE ONE -- The Shower of Flowers.

The first gift is to shower the band with flowers -- just as at an opera or play, where the audience gives the players flowers, but here the amount of flowers is massive.

Again, every person, or as many people as possible, enter the final show with a flower in their hand. Any kind of flower -- but the more durable the better. Bring a bouquet if you want. And if you can bring extras to hand out to those without, please do so.

First off, imagine how delightful it will be for every person entering the show to be holding a flower.

When the band takes the stage at the start of the FIRST SET of the last show, in daylight, the people in front toss their flowers on the front of the stage. Meanwhile, everyone behind them starts passing their flowers forward, person to person, up to the front, where the people in front continue to shower the front of the stage with flowers. Soon, through a big, interactive crowd action, there are hundreds, then a thousand, then 2,000, then 5,000, then 10,000, then more single flowers on the front of the stage. (My survey of fans reveals a consensus that the band is set up 15-20 feet back from the front of the stage, leaving ample room for flowers).

All the while, as soon as the flower-passing begins, a chant rises up: "THANNNNNNNNK YOU! THANNNNNNNK YOU!" In the same cadence and rhythm as a basketball crowd chanting "Airrrrrrrrrrr-ball! Airrrrrrrrrrr-ball!" To synchronize everyone, the Thank You chant must start in the FRONT of the crowd, with everyone behind joining in as it builds.

The effect: The band takes the stage for its final show ever and is greeted with a shower of flowers and a massive chant of "THANNNNNNNNNNNK YOU!" As one friend put it, this should be "very moving" for the band.

PHASE TWO: The Balloon (Un)Drop

The second "gift" is visual -- creating a balloon "drop" in the middle of an airfield. We cannot drop the balloons, but we can collectively release them.

When the band takes the stage for the SECOND SET of the final Phish show, in twilight, every person in the audience simultaneously inflates their balloon and releases it into the crowd.

The effect: As the band takes the stage, now in twilight, suddenly from the crowd emerges an ocean of balloons.

PHASE THREE: Light up the Night.

The final gift is an audio and visual gift for the band. When the band takes the stage for the THIRD and FINAL Phish set -- it is dark now, so i.e., when the field lights drop -- everyone in the crowd lights their candle. And, again, the chant rises up, starting in the front, "THANNNNNNNK YOU! THANNNNNNNNK YOU!"

The effect: Done properly, the band is greeted for its final set with a light show provided by the crowd. It should be pretty bitchin' to watch from the crowd, too.

DETAILS -- How do we pull this off?

This message is being released simultaneously on many Phish discussion boards and through the personal Phish lists of several dozen people.

HOW YOU CAN HELP: You can help spread the word about this Thank You Project in several ways:

1. SPREAD THIS MESSAGE VIA INTERNET: Post this message on your Phish discussion board (if you haven't seen it there yet), and pass this message to YOUR own personal Phish list, including (and especially) everyone with whom you are traveling to coventry. Ask your friends to keep this message moving.

This message will be followed up with periodic reminder announcements on the major discussion boards between now and coventry.

This should get the word out to a decent percentage of the people who will be attending

BUMP......I think that's so cute, I hope it works out well and I'm sure the band will appreciate all the work there fans have done to show our graditute for all they've done for us. I sure would if a couple thousand people got together and planned something like this at such a monumental event............WoW!!!!!!!!

I can;t wait to be a witness to it all.

ganga goddess,

thanks for the bump..... :), i think the band would dig it too,

as for secondtube, why are you always so pessimistic? (sp?). Give trey what he wants??? The FOUR people in the band and its surrounding crew have given so many so much. I for one will be forever grateful. :(

'the future belongs to those who beleive in the beauty of their dreams.....'

dancingbear