Jambands.ca

The Funk Brothers

Cully

Last nights show was an amazing experience. Unfortunately two more of the funk brothers have passed away since the movie came out, so there are only five original members left. The remainder of the band was made up of great Philly jazz players, two local musicians, and some amazing singers. Bootsy cancelled at the last min, but it was awesome to see Joan Osborn wailing out the hits (I can't wait to hear her with The Dead!!!) These guys are over seventy, and they played for two and a half hours.....WOW....

yeah i was there too haunting the balcony-fuggin great show-i was dissapointed Bootsy wasn't there as he is a personal hero, but damn they more than made up for it. 18 piece band kickin out Motown faves...kee-rist!!

The sheer comedic element of the audience participation made it feel more like a party too, The 2 guys that got up for My Girl-holy crap i haven't laughed that hard in awhile...one knew all the words and had a great voice, the other did the absolute opposite dance steps of the lead...hehehe sheesh!!

Oh yeah...can't forget the risque mama from Terminator/Lethal Weapon [Eek!]

Oh man, those two guys were hilarious. I can't believe how good the one guy was and improvising and all. Wow. The other one... LOL. He sure looked like he was having the time of his life though.

As far as the show goes, I'd say that I am glad to have seen it and I certainly think those guys deserve a tremendous amount of respect but I wasn't really blown away. The acoustics in the second row floor were very muddy for this show and I had a really hard time making out anything but the voices and the drums. I know that's not the bands fault but it certainly affects the overall experience. I too was really hoping for Bootsie.

Archived