Jambands.ca

Trey pulls a Brian Wilson?

zero

Everybody obviously wants to know what's going on with Opee who knows if this is any more reliable than anything else:

the fact of the matter is that it goes deeper than the obvious drug problems.. the band was disfunctional as a result of trey's mental breakdown.. his obvious perfectionism combined with his recent addictions have resulted in severe dillusion.

None of this is new but somehow it has that ring of something like truth:

Trey has been lashing out at his bandmates and causing some serious problems.. He freaks out on them and claims they are fu©king up, and ruining the music,, when in fact the band is trying to hold it together.. and trey is the one fu©king up.

HE LOST IT... not like syd barret.. but like a dillusional musical genious that has lost his ground for a moment

who cares zero? Seriously.

We ALL know Trey played like total and complete garbage. Why is the reason he played like that so important?

No one is arguing trey's musical demons....but look at Neil in the 80's...he was doing some crazy sh!t. but now, Greendale was the best thing he's written in over TWO decades...

Trey still has lots of music in him...Just it'll be up to him when he decides to redeem himself from the mockery he made at Coventry.

The whole phish phenomena is built in many ways on us (falsely) believing that we know the musicians. We feel this deep connection and project what we think they're actual lives are like. For that reason it is completely understable that people want to know the truth.

i guess...what did people gain by learning the 'truth' about Jerry, accept giving him a bad rap during those times, calling him a junkie etc.

Do we really need to know for sure he's a junkie? His playing reflects it, but really, i dont care his reasons...

Just fix them, and get back to creating beautiful music...

On a completely different tip with regard to Gamehenge I thought these remarks interesting.

it's no mystery why they didn't play col forbins ascent, famous mockingbird, and tela post hiatus

i keep hearing it's because they're grown up and feel silly singing about Dungeon and Dragons type characters

that would be believeable if they weren't playing wilson every 3 shows, possum often, even sloth and lizards have been played post hiatus.

they just didn't take the time to relearn the others

i'm not bitching, just stating the reason isn't becuase they felt silly singing about those charcters

think the Vegas 00 Forbin's Mockingbird was the "end" of the story - just like 7/29/03 was the end of Jimmy's story

"Gamehendge is a state of mind"

and Page doesn't like Tela anymore

No one is arguing trey's musical demons....but look at Neil in the 80's...he was doing some crazy sh!t. but now, Greendale was the best thing he's written in over TWO decades...

well... in the 80s neil's wierd albums were some what a result of him hating his record label. Look at the album LIFE: on the cover is a jail cell and on the wall of the jail cell are the number of albums he recorded for Greffen record scratched on the wall! Neil "drug albums" were more so in the 70s... Zuma was recorded during the cocaine days... and is better than almost any phish record! (in my opinion). anyway, my point is i don't think comparing neil young to trey is fair (sorry i'm a big neilhead). Greendale is solid though. I saw it live a couple times last year... trey could learn something from crazy horse.

Check out the new Guitar World issue... Trey gives a pretty long interview about the Phish breakup. There is not too much new stuff, but he does talk about when he was on/off drugs and stuff. Anyway, i think Trey fu©king up songs is Trey not practicing songs because he just isn't feelin' it. Who knows though... "too much of a good thing will kill you in the end" neil young

1) Zuma is better than any Phish CD, CONFIRMED!

2) If I were 40 I don't think I'd want to sing about McGrupp and The Watchful Hosemasters either when I could be singing something personal like Two Versions of Me instead. As a 30 year old, I know which I'd prefer to listen to (the latter).

3) another reason why Neil Young is so freakin' amazing is that even some of those 80's albums have their charms. The Bluenotes album is quite good. "Everybody's Rockin" - c'mon, give the guy props, Geffen asked him to a rock and roll record, and he did! I just listened to "Old Ways" the other night - what a nice album! Career high? No. But c'mon, those albums are all just pieces of a bigger puzzle. And yes, Greendale is surely awesome, but let's not forget Sleeps With Angels, Silver & Gold, Freedom and Harvest Moon. It's not really like the guy's been slacking since 1977 or something. And Trey is not anywhere near Neil's league, but to be fair, few are!