Jambands.ca

Afrodizz vs. Femm Nameless- Last Nite in Leeds...

shainhouse

Well, this evening had the potential to be absolutely fantastic. Packed bar, one of the best in Leeds (The Hifi Club) and two of the most promising and exciting afrobeat bands around. Unfortunately though, sound problems, monotony and boredom hovered over the evening, leaving the show feeling empty and unfulfilling. Afrodizz' lead singer was out of tune, leaving the horn section to pick up the pieces throughout the evening and while Femm Nameless, an all female 6pc afrobeat band from Brooklyn were exciting, upbeat and fun, there set was plagued with monotony and similar progressions, despite having the most talented and sexiest upright 5 string bassist I've ever seen.

Still, both great bands. Expect a full review in jambase shortly. Hope everyone is well.

!!!- Shain

Do you not think if nero for instance got their act together and got some tour support from Foreign Affairs or elsewhere that they would slay overseas? I mean I think the same of the Slip and a handful of others but given your description of this mundane show it only further solidifies my sense that they would go over really well. Especially since their wash of sound has such a palatable danceable quality which isn't inconsistent with DJ culture.

I think any band that hovered over an 'electronic' sound would do well in the UK. There is a HUGE DJ culture over here, atleast 5 times the size of the live music culture. Leeds is about the size of Hamilton, but has 75 clubs and 10 live music venues. There's always been talk, but s much protocal to sift through to play overseas. Still, it's possible.