Jambands.ca

Jam Band discusion on another board

Jay Funk Dawg

I started an interesting discusion on the topic of "jambands" on a site called www.20hz.ca. It has been a pretty healthy discussion, but I think the 'jamband' term for some reason has a lot of bagage with it...

check it out:

http://www.20hz.ca/boards/viewtopic.php?t=24898

any jambanders out there who want to put in their two cents please do! It's actually pretty funny thread.

here are some exerpts:

whenever i hear the on stage banter :

"the is an improv zepplinesque kind of jam.."

or

"let us introduce my good friend jimmy on bongos!!"

you will find me making my way for the exit or drinking as much as i can as fast i can.

nothing wrong with jam bands but i just cant handle the radness of it all.

generally i dont like whats considered 'jam bands'

although i love improvisation in rock or any kind of music... i'm not really down with the cosmic groove hippy nonsense that usually follows the 'jamband' phenomena.

however i'm sure there are 'jambands' out there that i wouldnt mind... unfortunately i've been turned off by alot of the empty music and their vapid tripped out fans..

I once saw the String Cheese Incident at the Phoenix on a whim. I was shocked to see all those weirdo stereotypes like the stinky smells and the vegan grilled cheese sandwiches and the Winnebagos (sic) and the hairy armpits ... were TRUE.

Seriously, the crowd STUNK because everyone was dancing, there was obvious scads of weed going around and nobody bathed. The music was not my cup of pee but it wasn't all that offensive. The reek, however, was offensive.

generally i dont like whats considered 'jam bands'

although i love improvisation in rock or any kind of music... i'm not really down with the cosmic groove hippy nonsense that usually follows the 'jamband' phenomena.

however i'm sure there are 'jambands' out there that i wouldnt mind... unfortunately i've been turned off by alot of the empty music and their vapid tripped out fans..

Ding-ding-ding!!! We have a winner!!

Give this man a medal, please!!

I check out whats on 20 hz every day, though I only contribute every so often... while I can see some people rightfully becoming of the opinions listed above, I also find that a large portion of the pop crowd can really hate jambands over nothing more than a sense of fashion without even having listened (or caring to listen) to any of the music... or because of a Fat Cats show they saw 10 years ago

I've gone through a lot of jazz, blues, classical, roots, pop, punk and rock to get where I am today in my appreciation of music, I really do wish more people who love music for music's sake would come out and see certain bands... a lot of the rock crowd would love a jimmy swift show but there's no way in hell you can get them out to a show because they don't want to be seen around hippies... obviously the same for a lot of people and The Slip... the bus, nero... I think at least a third to half of the rock crowd would really gain something from seeing all these acts if they were just willing to try something different

have to say people hippying out at a show is no worse than a mosh pit or, the worst of all in my mind, everyone standing dead still, in a pose, because they don't want to move for the terror of doing something un-cool in front of other people... being too cool is like living on life support

one positive thing about many 'hippy' music lovers is that at least they're usually open minded towards giving other styles of music a listen