Black Crowe solo gig @ Lee's Palace 10/14/2004

TimmyB

CRAIG LASKEY & LP PRESENTS

RICH ROBINSON @ 11:00PM

LEGAL AGE 19/NO SMOKING

LEE'S PALACE

529 BLOOR ST WEST

THU OCT 14, 2004 DRS 9PM

TICKETS $19.25 ($13.50 PLUS $5.75 SERVICE FEES)

I love Rich Robinson whether it be the five times I've seen him with the Black Crowes or with his first side project Hookah Brown that I luckily saw once before they disbanded. I'm very excited about this solo Crowe making a stop at Lee's Palace a week from today. He is performing songs off his new album "Paper." Rich is also covering songs by The Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Bob Dylan and Marvin Gaye just to name a few. Though if you go don't expect too many songs by the Black Crowes. He'll be waiting to perform those songs when the Crowes reunite next year.

www.richrobinson.net

Hey Stoned Phillips,

If you decide not to pick up Rich Robinson's new album at the used CD store, private message me which store it was as I'm going into Toronto tomorrow (Oct 9) to see Wilco and right now I'll be picking up a reserved copy of "Paper" at Sam The Record Man, but if I can get it for cheaper I will.

Hey Swan,

I wonder if this means that Gordie Johnson will be able to score the spot as bassist in the reunited Black Crowes in 2005? They already have one Canadian with Eddie Hersch the Robinson brothers must like us Canucks. That would be great financially for Gordie.

I saw Gordie Johnson play with Chris Robinson in 2002, and I also saw another for Big Sugar member Kelly Hoppe aka Mr. Chill perform with Chris in 2003. Mr. Chill recently joined Rich and Gordie in Detroit on September 28. So I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Chill showed up at Lee's Palace next week as well.

Also Craig Ross lead guitarist for Lenny Kravitz has shown up on stage the last two Chris Robinson shows in Toronto, it would be great to see Ross perform with Robinson's younger brother. I'm very excited about this gig!

I saw Rich's band Hookah Brown last year and it wasn't very good, all the songs sounded A LOT like the Crowes. They must've held a contest to find the lead singer who sounded EXACTLY like Chris. I've heard really good things about "Paper" though. I doubt I'll make it to this show unless someone can pick me up in Guelph that night.... any takers?

I picked up Rich Robinson's debut solo album entitled "Paper" (Keyhole Records) this past Saturday at Sam The Record Man on Yonge Street. I'm currently giving it my fourth listen while I'm typing this, and I've got to say that it's pretty amazing.

If you have enjoyed albums by the Black Crowes then you are surely going to enjoy this album. Rich's brother took the vocals of the Crowes to his solo project New Earth Mud, but Rich has the sound of the Crowes hands down.

Since the departure of Marc Ford from the Black Crowes after their album "Three Snakes And One Charm," Rich has really come into his own as a lead guitarist. And you really hear his confidence now that he is the only guitarist on this record.

Also Rich's lead vocals are quite competent and fit the material remarkably well. If the Black Crowes record again I would look forward to Rich taking the lead vocals on a track or two on the album to mix it up, much like how Keith Richards has on each Rolling Stones album.

I'm so looking forward to seeing Rich perform at Lee's Palace this upcoming Thursday October 14! And with Gordie Johnson (former leader of Big Sugar) droping the guitar and picking up the bass for this tour there is a great chance that former members of Big Sugar are going to show up at this gig! Also since Lenny Kravitz cancelled his fall tour Craig Ross a resident of Toronto could show up as well.

And on October 8, Rich covered Pink Floyd's "Fearless" and "Echoes" at the show. Rich also has an amazing mix of other great covers as well spattered throughout the show. It's going to be an amazing night of southern rock and roll to be sure.