Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Wilco @ Massey Hall 10/09/2004

TimmyB

HOUS OF BLUES CONCERTS PRESENTS

WILCO

MASSEY HALL

SHUTER ST & VICTORIA ST AT THE QUEEN SUBWAY

SAT OCT 9, 2004 AT 8:00PM

SOLD OUT! TICKETS ARE $39.00 CALL THE MASSEY HALL BOX OFFICE TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY EXTRAS (416)872-4255

THE OPENER IS A TORONTO BAND CALLED THE REAL PRISILLAS.

I can't wait to see Wilco for the third time this year! I'm so proud of Jeff Tweedy and Co. that they've sold out the great Massey Hall, and I hope one day I can say the same about them selling out the Air Canada Centre as I only hope the best for this band!

I'm going tonight with Rachael and MarcO's girlfriend Laurie. Two girls and one guy always a great ratio. Um, I mean-- Hey Marc, I'll take good care of your woman tonight and bring her home safe and satisfied. Satisfied because of the concert. Okay I'll shut up now.

Whoever else is going tonight are going to have a great time I guarantee it.

Here's the setlist from Wilco's show at Massey Hall on October 9, 2004.

Start Time 9:00PM

1. Muzzle Of Bees

2. Hummingbird

3. Company In My Back

4. Handshake Drugs

5. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

6. War On War

7. I'm Always In Love

8. Hell Is Chrome

9. Jesus, Etc.

10. Via Chicago

11. A Shot In The Arm

12. At Least That's What You Said

13. Theologians >

14. Poor Places >

15. I'm The Man Who Loves You

Encore 1: 16. Less Than You Think >

17. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Encore 2 (w/ Garth Hudson): 18. When The Roses Bloom Again

19. California Stars

20. Christ For President

21. The Late Greats

Encore 3: 22. I'm A Wheel

23. Be Not So Fearful

End time 11:02PM (Total time 2 hours and 2 minutes)

Unfortunately the sound was off for the first four songs. There was a lot of feedback that came from Jeff Tweedy's vocal monitors. Interestingly enough I've seen a few artists that have had those types of difficulties at Massey Hall during the beginning of shows there. Maybe the legendary status of the acoustics at the grand ol' venue makes artists think they can skip soundcheck there, I really don't know.

That the great Garth Hudson came out for four songs during the second encore made up for any problems at the beginning of the show! When Hudson walked out I was screaming "Oh My God!" over and over again so many times that my girlfriend thought I was having a heart attack or something. I had to tell everybody around me who Hudson is. Though I did hear somebody around me after the second or third song scream out "Chest Fever" which I thought was funny. Also he did get a great ovation from the audience and at three different times. When Garth came out to join Wilco on stage, after his first solo on "Christ For President," and when he walked off.

As for the openers the New Priscillas I'll say this. This was the first show I've attended since Bruce Palmer the original bassist in Buffalo Sprinfield died earlier in the week. Palmer like Neil Young was Toronto and I don't know if the New Priscillas were concious of Palmer's passing but they opened their set with a cute version of Young's first song with lead vocal called "Burned." The song originally on Springfield's self-titled debut which Palmer played bass on felt to me at least like a tribute to Palmer.

i woke up to find out a family member had passed.

got to toronto later on in the day, ended up here there and everywhere cuz i had my lines crossed with some people.

spent way too much on parking and cabs.

decided i'd see if i could score a wilco ticket so i could catch it before the jsb/gtb gig..

talked a dude down outside the venue and managed to get myself a front row ticket, but had an extra $20 stuck in there and ended up paying more anyways.

feeling generally sh!tty about everything that went on all day, and not really enjoying the first few songs because of the sound, despite the fact they played one of my fave wilco tunes, company in my back, in that 4 song pocket, i was starting to feel like again i rooked myself and paid way too much for what was looking to be a sub-par show... at least comparing to past wilco shows i've seen.

the show got increasingly better, but i was in a mood...

then the mighty garth came out, and among others, played california stars with the band.

alls well that ends well, they say.

i will say, thinking back to it now, once they got the sound fixed it really was a quality Wilco show, and im really glad i got to see it regardless... massey hall is such a great venue, but i tell ya, all i wanted to do was stand. good on the kid who made the effort to get up in front of tweedy, although i think it was pretty clear tweedy would have preferred people just sat and took this one in... which is what this dude and his friends eventually did after a couple songs. at least it made for some good comedy and loosened everyone up. they played just about everything i'd have wanted to hear off the last 3 albums... the Via Chicago was a really nice surprise especially the way they changed it up, but i really coulda gone for a She's A Jar in that room. or something like Misunderstood from Being There. i think John Stirratt deserves a little more recognition for what he brings to the table, i was watching him most of the night, and he's just a rock... and really fun to watch with his instrument... same with one of the other multi-instrumentalists.. dont know his name, but he was on stirratt's side of the stage, keyboards, guitar, tambourine, shakers, and serious rock moves. good stuff.

at any rate, a good show... i felt a lot better about it after i had some time to reflect on what went down, and after XXXX kinda gave me a better perspective on it while making some kickass nuclear pasta after gtb/jsb... both of whom rocked like fu©k at the horseshoe.

Hey guigsy,

Sorry about the loss in your family. I hope it wasn't too sudden or at all painful.

I completely agree with you about how John Stirrat deserves more recognition in the band. Especially since John was the only other original member of Wilco on stage last night along with Jeff Tweedy. It's funny that Garth Hudson showed up on stage last night as I've always felt that Stirrat reminded me of Garth's on Bandmate Rick Danko.

Stirrat also has a pretty voice, but on stage with Wilco you only ever hear him sing backup. Other than on on Wilco's debut album "A.M." where there's on track where Stirrat sings lead vocal called "It's Just That Simple." I luckily saw John Stirrat perform the song at the Horseshoe on February 10 of this year as a part of one of his side projects the Autumn Defence. Next time they perform Toronto I'll post it on this site.

Speaking of Autumn Defence the multi-instrumentalist that you liked so much was Stirrat's partner in Autumn Defence, which was his obvious in when Leroy Bach left Wilco this year. His name is Pat Sansone. I agree with you Sansone is fun to watch on stage, especially when he pulls a Pete Townshend on guitar.

Funny how you complained about the crowd not standing at the show last night as well. On Wilco's fanpage www.viachicago.org the majority of the complaining from last nights show was due to the crowd sitting on their asses. I too would have preferred to stand as well but accepted it when the crowd didn't. I wasn't about to let it ruin the gig of one of my favorite bands.

thank you, timmy... so far i am undecided as to how painful it is, and yes, it was sudden, but not exactly unexpected.

thanks for the tip on autumn defence, i also like stirratt's voice quite a bit.. never thought of the danko connection until now, but i have to agree with you... on the voice bit as well, i love his back-ups.

and yeah, dont worry, i didnt let the sitting ruin the show for me... i probably needed some rest anyhow. it's been one of those weekends... ::