Jambands.ca

Skanktuarians, lend me your ears!

Tonberry

Hey there, Tonberry (Stapes Jr.) here...

So, I'm trying my damndest to open my horizons to good music, and given that I have a radio show (Every other sunday night / monday morning at 2am on CKCU -- 93.1 in ottawa, www.ckcufm.com on the internet) I'm trying to branch out more...

So... I'm looking for suggestions of music I should listen to BEYOND what I already listen to.

While I'm open to most suggestions, I'm PARTICUALRLY interested in listening to more Reggae and Easy-Listening Jazz (though all Jazz is welcome). Those are two genres I enjoy, but don't know that much about.

Okay... ready... set... give'r.

i'm afraid i have pretty standard tastes when it comes to these... i like oscar peterson, the marsalis', and lester young alot, when it comes to jazz. i have an awesome cd that is i think wynton and ellis marsalis doing songs from 'peanuts'.... it's great!

Reggae:

Clinton Fearon with or without the Dragonnaires

Wailing Souls

Burning Spear

Toots and the Maytals (or that new band he plays with now, comprised of former Melody Makers)

Gregory Isaacs

Leroy Gibbons

Jazz:

Swing Soniq (Winnipeg, I think)

Jarek Smietana (Czechoslovakian, I think)

Ken Valitsky (very modern, fusion music)

Pearl Django (Django Reinhardt style jazz from state of Washington and Vancouver)

Other:

Slow Nerve Action (Canadian funk)

Don Ross (Canadian acoustic guitar god)

Mike Daley or his former band Uncle Violet (cool Canadian rock from Hamilton)

Nero (mindblowing Ottawa instrumental)

Luther Wright and the Wrongs (bluegrass covers of Pink Floyd from Kingston)

Jackson Delta (blues legends from Peterborough)

Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband (banjo rock from somewhere in the US)

Trout Fishing in America (guitar-bass duo, folky rock for grownups; and even some children's tunes)

I could go on, but those are a few, relatively obscure, musicians off the top of my head.

Please run to your computer right now (that was fast) and find some Ugly Casanova to listen to. It's unbelievably brilliant, and beyond any Modest Mouse I've heard (it's the Modest Mouse guy's side project). The album is called Sharpen Your Teeth. Every track is the best track, including Parasites. fu©k it's a good album.

Maybe you should pick up some Sisters Euclid and Bill Frisell and Bob Wiseman and Johnny Cash too, but get yourself that Ugly Casanova cd. Geez, how many times do I gotta tell you, you got it yet? Get it.

Oh, I've bought all of my copies of Ugly Casanova's cd Sharpen Your Teeth (which is really really good) at CD Exchange on Rideau Street. It's a bit hard to find. I just bought another copy on Thursday, but I don't know if they had two in stock. You should call them and ask them if they have it and if they have it would they put it under the counter with your name on it please? That's what I did, and I got it. You should too. They're called Ugly Casanova.

Other:

Nero (mindblowing Ottawa instrumental)

Heh. Dude, I named their mailing list. ::

Anyway, A lot of good suggestions. It's going to take me forever to look these all up, but keep them coming. Also mega-congrats to those who labeled their suggestions as Canadian (as I need Can Con for my show)...

Some great stuff I already know about mentioned: Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, nero, Manu Chao. I can't say I'm as big a fan of Chao as Stapes, but he's still pretty cool.

I'm surprised nobody's jumped in with Herbie Hancock yet, but, maybe that's elementary...

Dinghy: I've been right here, man. Right.... here. Seriously though, I've been coming out more since the girlfriend gave me the walking papers. You're the one who's never around, Otto-man.

You want to hear some great reggae?

Alpha Blondy this Fri. at the Capital music hall.

Excellent.

For sure! Any idea if he's coming west?

So... Canadian I don't know if all these guys still exist, but:

Messenjah

The Sattelites

King Apparatus (ska)

Hopping Penguins (ska)

Mother Tongue (African/Reggae)

People Playing Music (rootsy/jammy)

Roots Roundup (reggae/punk)

Also, non-Canadian, but worthy of mention while thinking about it:

Linton Kwesi Johnson (dub reggae)

... and this one's hard to believe, but apart from their hardcore punk, the Bad Brains do some of the best roots-reggae around.

I agree with many of the posts here, especially:

Jimmi Cliff (legendary!!! go for "The Harder They Come" soundtrack as a great start)

Don Ross (sweet geeetar - rounds out any Can Con collection)

Toots and the Maytals (Toots has done a duet with Willie Nelson that would be awesome to get a hold of!!!)

Desmond Dekker (essential two-tone! Try “007 Shanty Town”)

King Apparatus (fun and CANADIAN!)

Other Canadian Ska to check out:

General Rudie

The Kingpins (see what their latest incarnation is... Lorraine Kingpin is notoriously hard to work with and tends to loose many quality bandmates)

The Arsenals (awesome Toronto band, but hard to find/get a hold of)

The Degenerates (awesome two-tone hardcore rock fusion from Port Hope - not sure if they’re still together)

For an overview of Canadian Ska, try to get a hold of the Stomp Records All-Skanadian Collection - I think they’re up to volume IV now, and if you ever get the chance to check out the Stomp Allstars, don’t pass it up.

DJ Skip (Mark Viitala) at CIUT FM here in T.O. is a HUGE resource for Canadian Ska (and a really easygoing guy - he’s also a green party candidate)

DJ Skip

Don’t forget to tell him Large Marge sent ya! ;)

Some noteworthy American Ska (2nd & 3rd wave)

Mighty Mighty Bosstones

The Toasters

The Slackers (slacktastic! they’re playing Toronto this weekend!!!)

Mad Bomber Society

And sooooo many more!

For an overview of ska in general, (mostly 1st wave) try the fabulous “Rough & Tough” compilation (I think it’s from Trojan Records) or the unbelievably awesome “One Step Beyond” compilation (Virgin Records - listen to Swan Lake for sure!!!)

One notable recent Canadian reggae artist is Dylan Murray. Yes, I know that he’s an upper-middle class white kid from Forest Hill, but he’s spent over 5 years traveling back & forth to Kingston (JA) and studying with Jamaica’s greatest and deepest rooted artists. He’s certainly popular (sold out the Bamboo last time in town), and definitely worth a listen.

That’s it for now, but let me know if you want more… I also used to be a pretty major headbanger and could easily turn you on to the likes of Germany’s demonic “Dimmu-Borgir” :: or England’s blood-spitting “Conquest of Steel”.

pm1.jpg

Here is a fine showing from my ex-boyfriend, front man of the Conquest!!! :o

Hope this helps (the suggestions, not the image)...

Cheers!

Bruce McCulloch on JAZZ

"Wow. One thing I hear a lot is, people say, "Bruce, what's this with you and Jazz? What's the beef with you and Jazz music?"

I say, "Well, I really hate Jazz."

They say, "What do you hate about poor old Jazz?"

I say, "The sound. The sound that Jazz instruments make when they're being manipulated by Jazz players to the delight of Jazz respondents. I think of it as musical barf."

They say, "I don't think you've given Jazz a chance."

Well, I maintain, I haven't given suicide a chance, but. . .Well, I did give suicide a chance, but that was only because I was threatened with Jazz. You know. Jazz music.

One thing I hate--One thing I hate is being woken up in the middle of the night, when I'm dreaming about, say, promiscuity with dignity, by a rap-tap-tappin' on my window by those guys with goatee things on their faces, saying, "Hey. Can we come in? Beano's clarinet's gettin' wet." And then they go into this sorta Gene Krupa trance. Jazz schmazz. I'm sorry; I've got to go that far. Jazz schmazz.

You know what? I'd like to declare this a Jazz-free zone, about forty miles as far as the Jazz-hatin' crow flies in any direction. Just paradise. Those guys would go to work, and it wouldn't be there.

I'm gonna ask a question. What sort of music do you think there is in hell? You know, H-E-double hockey sticks? Well, I think it's probably hateful, free-form Jazz. And in heaven? Country and Western music. The choice is pretty obvious. It's not Jazz. It's not bop-a-dop bop-be-bop-bo Jazz. [to flutist:] What's that? A recorder or something? I'm not into it. Fuzz pedal, that's what I'm into. You know? "

oh yeah, and re Messenjah, I know Erol Blackwood is still kickin around (he played the FREAK13 fest last year).