Jambands.ca

Bachman and Cummings promoting new DVD

TimmyB

This past Monday I went to Club 279 in Toronto to see a screening of the upcoming DVD called "The Guess Who: Running Back Thru Canada," that had a question and answer period and autograph session with Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings.

It was for Club Q winners and I can't believe how packed the bar was. Note to all if you ever win anything similar to this as a Club Q member come early as they often give out more passes than they have space, to make sure it's full. I saw Marky there handing out flyers for Little Feat, moe. and Medeski, Martin & Wood. Marky had a promotion pass and could have bumped people like me in line but he told me that he would let a fan go in instead. That was good form Marky!

As for the DVD it was fun to relive the tour that I caught at the Molson Amphitheatre in 2001. This performance was from a homecoming show in Winnipeg that had to deal with a brutal thunderstorm that delayed the show for a while.

At the autograph session I asked Randy Bachman how the Clean Air Concert went in Duncan, BC on September 17. His reply was "Amazing, Neil Young." I had wondered if Randy was going to bring up Neil at the concert without me mentioning him and he did. And it's great that all he had to say "Amazing" and then "Neil Young." I then told Randy that he should now go and perform at Neil Young's Bridge School Concert in the future. And Randy said "Ya I'll have to pay him back." I love Randy Bachman and I hope he does play the Bridge School Concerts one day.

I was there too - and totally disappointed. This was possibly the worst "music" event that I've ever been to. As much as I love the Guess Who, their current attitude toward music and money-making is pathetic. If it weren't for that huge benefit concert out in Duncan recently, then I would flatly state that they've sold out.

The DVD was a decent greatest hits compilation though and many fans couldn't help but giver back by the veggie buffet. (Too bad I felt like grabbing a head of cauliflower and hucking it at their un-seeable VIP pit)

Sorry - like I said, I was very disappointed… I’m glad I didn’t come in from out of town or anything.

Cheers!

Sorry, I think I was a little bit harsh yesterday (I have traveled to Winnipeg to take my photo at Portage & Main, after all).

What really bothered me on Monday was the response they gave when a fan in the audience asked if they would be attempting to write or produce any new music. They unabashedly stated that if you look at some of the bands from their era that have reunited and produced new material, their albums never make any money and are therefore failures. They continued, stating that they would just carry on with their “first of many reunion tours”.

I felt like asking how much of my money they expect to keep pocketing on regurgitated and seemingly uninspired material. I figure I might as well just put their new DVD in and leave it on repeat mode. I wonder if they’re broke or just supercilious, or if they’ve ever heard of retirement.

Cheers!

Marge: I see your point and what you are trying to say. I don't entirely agree though. When I saw the Guess Who a couple of years ago, I really enjoyed seeing all their old tunes. I would have been quite disappointed if I had not seen "No Sugar Tonight", because that time was spent playing some new song.

The best example I can give of such a situation is Santana. I have stopped seeing his shows, because he inevitably plays a number of lame '80s pop songs of his, in between "Soul Sacrifice" and "Black Magic Woman". I sometimes get so bored waiting for the next good song, that it's hard to stay "into" the show.

It is possible that the Guess Who could write another kickass hit in 2004, but I wouldn't count on it and it's not what I pay to go see.

But that's just one caveman's opinion...

I saw an interview with Bachman & Cummings (promoting the DVD), and the interviewer asked them if they were getting along. They said they were getting along "at the moment". Bachman then made an interesting money comment: he said that when you're on tour, what you really get paid for isn't the performance, it's for putting up with the other band members the other twenty-odd hours a day.

Aloha,

Brad

i see your point but.

"if you look at some of the bands from their era that have reunited and produced new material, their albums never make any money and are therefore failures. They continued, stating that they would just carry on with their “first of many reunion tours”.

what it sounds like to me is that they are doing what they love, playing music and they do not want to go broke doing it. so to put all the effort/money into a project that will fail/lose money is loony. they would rather do what they love and thats play rock and roll.

"I figure I might as well just put their new DVD in and leave it on repeat"

i could not agree more. thats what reunion tour are all about. old has been rock stars trying to relive there glory day. and old rocker reliving there glory days watching there favorite rock band.

Ok, you guys got me to look further into it, and now I have to retract my “sell-out” label…

[color:"red"] Bachman explains, "I've been doing the Guess Who thing on remote for years. It's the same old classic rock over and over. People don't want one different note. They want to hear the performance exactly like it's etched in their brains. You wake me up at three in the morning, put me in a bag like Yoko Ono on the side of the stage, I could play any of my songs."

source]http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicArtistsB/bachman.html]source

What a shame that us fans are so engrossed with his classic rock past that we force him to fully separate any creativity or new inspiration from the Guess Who’s Book of Greatest Hits regurg-i-tour. I personally think it would be much cooler to hear a jazzified jam version of Clap for the Wolfman than pay upward of $60 to hear the oldies verbatim.