Jambands.ca

Friday night in Ottawa

bradm

That was a fun night. The Screaming Monkeys is an Ottawa duo, just electric bass and drums. Their music is best compared to Primus. The bass player used two-handed tapping all the time, I think, which enriched the sound a bit (giving you stuff happening in both a high and a low register). The drummer was also laying down some pretty good stuff, too. They had rhythmic patterns that were fairly complicated at first listen, but actually followed rules if could figure them out.

Jomomma did one set, about an hour and forty minutes. The crowd was a bit sparse (though The Sloth, Canuck Duck, and a small contingent did show up near the end of the set), but Jomo got them out onto the dance floor. I recall some unfamiliar material, which I hope is a sign they're writing more. As usualy, it was fun and funky.

For those who haven't been to Mavericks for a while, the brick pillar is gone. In its place are two vertical I-beams running from the floor up to the ceiling. It's still an OK place to tape from (I just clamped the mics to the I-beams, which put them about 3' apart), but there's currently no electrical outlet; luckily, I had enough extension cordage and duct tape to run from the stage.

They also have a new PA (all Mackie, from the board to the main PA speakers), and it sounds pretty good; it'll get better, I'm sure, as they get used to how to handle it.

Aloha,

Brad