Jambands.ca

Can you recommend a book?

Paan

My personal fav Robbins is "Another Roadside Attraction."

An amazing story - The mumified body of Jesus Christ is discovered and retrieved from the catacombs under the vatican thus proving that he was in fact just a man (and now just a corpse) and that there will be no second coming. The principal characters come into possession of it and incredible thought provoking banter ensues on whether to release it to the world (and the implications of destroying Christian faith) or keep it secret (and perpetuate the lie). You may fall in love with the main character Amanda. A quintessential hippie chick.

Another incredible one is "Still Life With Woodpecker".....a love story that takes place inside a box of cigarretes.....

With the recent mentions of Hunter S. Thompson, I heartily recommend "The Great Shark Hunt: Gonzo Papers Vol. 1", which is an anthology of his work up until the mid/late '70s, including stuff he did in the early '60s while in South (and, IIRC, Central) America, excerpts from his famous works ("Hell's Angels", "Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas", "Fear & Loathing On The Campaign Trail '72", etc.), and even some commentary from the man himself.

In a lot of ways, it's a better first-book-of-Thompson's to read than, say, "Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas", because you get to see just how good a writer he is (was), rather than get overwhelmed by the spectacle of what went on in Vegas.

Aloha,

Brad

With the recent mentions of Hunter S. Thompson, I heartily recommend "The Great Shark Hunt: Gonzo Papers Vol. 1", which is an anthology of his work up until the mid/late '70s, including stuff he did in the early '60s while in South (and, IIRC, Central) America, excerpts from his famous works ("Hell's Angels", "Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas", "Fear & Loathing On The Campaign Trail '72", etc.), and even some commentary from the man himself.

In a lot of ways, it's a better first-book-of-Thompson's to read than, say, "Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas", because you get to see just how good a writer he is (was), rather than get overwhelmed by the spectacle of what went on in Vegas.

Aloha,

Brad

I also recommend this book. Although I have not read all of it, i have read many of the stories/articles in it. My friend owns it and when i go there I sometimes read an article or two from this book.