Jambands.ca

The Hidden Cameras

dave-O

http://www.thehiddencameras.com/

Has anyone seen these guys? I think I've seen the name around these parts.

They're coming to town tomorrow and I've heard interesting things. They've been described as "gay church folk-rock" but other than that (and apparently explicit lyrics), I know nothing. What's the scoop?

I saw them back in 2002, I think, and didn't like them very much. I posted a review in the "Reviews" forum (IIRC, the subject was "Ante-Antibalas"), which doesn't seem to exist or be searchable anymore, so here's what I remember...

I found the songs boring, which was made worse by having far too many people (including male go-go dancers in glitter masks and briefs [and nothing else] on either side of the stage) on stage. At one point, they announced, "We're not just musicians, we're scientists!" IIRC, the experiment they tried to perform on us involved seeing if we could follow their synchronized dance moves, or maybe it was follow along with the lyrics they had up on an overhead projector (at Barrymore's; we were 'way up top, and so couldn't make out any words at all).

If they came to town, and the show were very cheap, and I had nothing else to do that night...I'd sit and watch TV instead.

Aloha,

Brad

Oh gawd, don't tell me Gentlemen Reg is a part of this crew too. Thanks guys, glad I asked. Lucky for me Slowcoaster is playing the same night.

And BradM - I remember that review, but didn't remember which band it was about.

Why did "gay church folk-rock" make me think Polyphonic Spree?

I fu©king hate them, especially the sometimes-member Gentleman Reg. The "It's cool to be gay" thing is so exhausting. Just play some good music and most people won't give two shits which way your flag flies.

I agree to a certain extent ... it's very funny to see how many lesbians go to see Tegan & Sara or Kinnie Starr shows. I wonder if Slayer proclaimed they were gay would the gay community flock to them?

What about Celine Dion as a lesbian? Or Britney Spears? Aretha? Charlotte Church?

i have to agree with bradm and ahess.. i was at the ante-antibalas show and they sucked.. not only the music but their presence was simply hard to watch, although they did have their own crowd of freaky followers.. mostly 30-something esoteric artfags. not to lump all their fans together, but.. well, fair is fair.

after the cameras played, my friend helen turned to me and said, "now i know why they're hidden."

truer words have never been spoken. ever.