Jambands.ca

U2 the Biggest Band in the World! Like it or not.

TimmyB

hahaha, hilarious... U2'S THE BIGGEST!!! YEAYYYYYYYY!!!!! YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!! BILLBOARD SAID ITS TRUE, AND NOW YOU'VE PROVED IT TO ALL OF US!!

you're absolutely relentless. i still dont give a fu©k about U2, or whoever the hell is the biggest band in the world, because it doesnt mean anything. at one time N'Sync was the biggest band in the world, too.

You're right I'm relentless. You'll notice I don't state in the subject heading on this thread that U2 is the "Greatest" or the "Best" band in the world, I stated that they are the "Biggest."

Based on their album sales, and soon to be ticket sales, worldwide, these figures are indisputable. U2 are the biggest, if you don't like it I can't help you. I like it so YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!!

was my comment derrogatory???? ::

Why don't you let me know if your comments were derogatory (one "r" not two)?

By your statement about Ashlee Simpson (that's with an "e" at the end not a "y") it seems to me that you meant that if an artist sells a lot of albums and makes the charts they are therefore not very good.

Well as I said before the Grateful Dead charted with every one of their studio albums and nearly all of their live albums as well, so I guess they are not very good either. You better stop listening to that pop(ular) band the Grateful Dead.

hey thanks for the spell check!!!

I never said that being on the billboard chart represented that the band sucked, I was suggesting that being on top of the Billboard chart doesn't really carry much weight in our previous discussion on whether or not U2 sucks at this moment. I say they do, you say they don't, I say tomatos, you say tomatoes... ::

hey thanks for the spell check!!!

I never said that being on the billboard chart represented that the band sucked, I was suggesting that being on top of the Billboard chart doesn't really carry much weight in our previous discussion on whether or not U2 sucks at this moment. I say they do, you say they don't, I say tomatos, you say tomatoes... ::

Ths thread isn't about whether U2 sucks or not, this thread is about how U2 is the "Biggest Rock Band in the World."

And U2 are the biggest in the world right now,as they often have been over their twenty-five year career.

the ceteraheads are pretty big too ya know

ok, so they're not the BIGGEST band in the world but at moose lodge they're huge

and I don't like U2 anymore either, but i like TimmyB's posts.

Is it so odd to open a thread about a band i don't like?

I usually base it on the person who wrote the post whether i want to open it and read what they had to say.

U2 earns its sixth No. 1 on The Billboard 200 this week with "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The Interscope set nearly doubled the band's previous best SoundScan era sales week (1991-present), moving 840,000 U.S. copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

billboard doesn't mean anything. record companies pay for charting. they hire independant promoters, to 'promote'(= payola) to chart the album and get radio to play it. and sound scan is a joke too. it's been told that record company reps will go into stores and literally spend the night running the album over the sales scanner to 'increase' sales and therefore, the albums postion on the charts.

independent promotion

U2 earns its sixth No. 1 on The Billboard 200 this week with "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The Interscope set nearly doubled the band's previous best SoundScan era sales week (1991-present), moving 840,000 U.S. copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

billboard doesn't mean anything. record companies pay for charting. they hire independant promoters, to 'promote'(= payola) to chart the album and get radio to play it. and sound scan is a joke too. it's been told that record company reps will go into stores and literally spend the night running the album over the sales scanner to 'increase' sales and therefore, the albums postion on the charts.

independent promotion

That's for radio play not for album sales. Billboard determines album sales through record stores and online retailers like amazon.com

• 2 weeks later...

from www.rollingstone.com

U2 to Enter Rock Hall

The Pretenders, O'Jays, Guy, Sledge also to be enshrined

Their cross-promotional campaign with iPod has reestablished U2 as the planet's biggest rock band. Now, capping an already huge commercial season for the anthemic Irish foursome, Bono and his bandmates will join the all-time greats in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Also scheduled for induction at the institution's twentieth anniversary gala on March 14th are the 1970s soul group the O'Jays, U.K.-based New Wave group the Pretenders, blues guitarist Buddy Guy and R&B veteran Percy Sledge.

From their earliest days in post-punk Dublin, U2 -- whose latest album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, debuted last month at Number One -- have been a rock band with a purpose. Beginning with the 1987 blockbuster The Joshua Tree, which won a Grammy for Album of the Year, the band became one of the first alternative acts to achieve classic-rock status, building a following that spans generations. Guitarist Dave "The Edge" Evans' frantic, chiming style has influenced countless successors, and singer Paul "Bono" Hewson has created a larger-than-life celebrity persona for himself, singing with Frank Sinatra and Luciano Pavarotti and making international news for his activism on behalf of reducing third-world debt.

The Pretenders, contemporaries of U2, were formed during the punk movement in England in 1978 by the American-born former rock critic Chrissie Hynde, who once worked in Malcolm McLaren's infamous boutique, Sex. Despite the drug overdoses of two of the group's founding members, guitarist James Honeyman-Scott and bassist Pete Farndon, the group went on to log six Top Forty hits, including "Back on the Chain Gang" and "I'll Stand By You."

The O'Jays, the long-running soul group formed in Canton, Ohio, in 1958, had a Number One hit in 1972 with "Love Train." Favorites of the Philadelphia production team Gamble and Huff, the group had a total of nine Top Forty hits through 1980, including "Back Stabbers" and "I Love Music."

Buddy Guy is the torchbearer of the electric blues style epitomized by his mentor, Muddy Waters. Guy, an acknowledged inspiration to such rock legends as Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton, runs a popular nightclub on Chicago's South Side.

Alabama-born Percy Sledge, sometimes called "The Golden Voice of Soul," is best known for his enduring 1966 classic "When a Man Loves a Woman."

Set to be inducted in the non-performer category are Frank Barsalona, a pioneer in rock & roll promotion, and Seymour Stein, the astute Sire Records founder who signed Madonna, the Ramones and Talking Heads.

Approximately 700 music-industry figures vote each year on eligible nominees. Among the list of first-time candidates who did not receive enough votes for induction were Randy Newman, the J. Geils Band, and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five. Past nominees who were again passed over this year include the Sex Pistols, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Stooges. Artists are eligible for induction to the Rock Hall twenty-five years after the release of their first album.

JAMES SULLIVAN

(Posted Dec 13, 2004)