Jambands.ca

Les Paul

Pablo Sanchez

So, I've been threatning for a while to go to New York city on a Monday night and see Les Paul perform at the Iridium club. I just realized that this guy turned 89 last summer. 89 years old and still doing a weekly gig is unbelievable.

Les Paul is a living legend. He invented the solid body electric guitar, tape delay, and multi track recording. Each one of these inventions had a tremendous impact on modern music. Its hard to imagine where we would be without him.

He's also a hell of a guitar player.

So I've decided that it is of the utmost importance that I see this man before he leaves us.

If anyone is heading to NYC for a monday night, let me know :)

LP389th.jpg

No disrespect to Slash was intended; I actually like a lot of his playing, too, and I loved the juxtaposition of him and Les playing at a jazz club (which I saw on a TV special about Les), especially seeing how nice Slash was (both personally and musically) with Les, and how much admiration and respect they had for each other.

All seriousness aside, I'd be interested in a road trip to NYC to see Les, but I think I'd need one or two more shows, in NYC and/or some place like Boston, to fully justify the trip.

Wondering if Les allows taping,

Brad

Hey Pablo Sanchez,

I was just wondering what night Les Paul played his weekly residency in the Big Apple? Thanks for posting it here.

I will be going to New York City to see Wilco and the Flaming Lips for their New Years Eve gig at MSG, but unfortunately the show is on the Friday and I have to be back on the Sunday.

Damn, I was hoping that maybe the great Les Paul performed on Wednesday or Thursday which I could have made work, but Monday's no good.

Y'know Pablo, we both found out about this at the same time, and we've both been talkig about this for years, and we both have been waiting for him to die so we can both say "fu©k, why didn't we go!!"

So I say we do it. After I get back from vacation, in February, you and I will hop in my car on a Monday morning, drive down, see the show and drive back in a manic mission. You can bring a store guitar to get signed and we'll have done it.

How's Feb. 7?

In grade 8 we all had to write speeches to deliver in front of the class. As I recall, most of the other speeches were about Beverly Hill 90210 or something. Mine was on the invention of the solid-body electric guitar, dealing with Les Paul's 'Log', Leo Fender's Broadcaster prototype, and Paul Bigsby's early offering. At the time (getting on 10 years ago already) I remember reading about Les' Monday night gig, but that he was so crippled by arthritis that he couldn't run up the neck without shifting his entire body. Given that, I never expected to hear that he is still at it 10 years later. Right on Les! I'd love to see him.

Y'know Pablo, we both found out about this at the same time, and we've both been talkig about this for years, and we both have been waiting for him to die so we can both say "fu©k, why didn't we go!!"

So I say we do it. After I get back from vacation, in February, you and I will hop in my car on a Monday morning, drive down, see the show and drive back in a manic mission. You can bring a store guitar to get signed and we'll have done it.

How's Feb. 7?

Let's do it!