Jambands.ca

Our future is in their hands.......

MarcO

John Manley jokes that he regrets never having smoked pot

BRUCE CHEADLE

Canadian Press

Thursday, May 01, 2003

OTTAWA (CP) - In a new twist on a weedy old political conundrum, Liberal leadership hopeful John Manley has turned the once-dreaded pot-smoking question on its ear.

The finance minister and deputy prime minister, 53, is on record supporting decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana, a measure the Liberal government has promised to introduce this spring. But Manley hadn't spoken about any personal experience with the drug.

Manley had to concede in an interview Thursday with The Canadian Press that the psychedelic 60s passed him by.

"No, never," Manley deadpanned when asked if he'd ever smoked pot. "I regret that, now, because apparently it's 'de rigueur.' "

The Oxford dictionary definition of de rigueur is something that is required by custom or etiquette.

The question of pot smoking by politicians has become standard fare in recent years. Responses have ranged from former U.S. president Bill Clinton's disingenuous, "Yes, but I didn't inhale," to Heritage Minister Sheila Copps's rather more enthusiastic "absolutely."

Manley's strange confession came two days after Prime Minister Jean Chretien cautioned an applauding group of Liberals at a party fundraiser in Ottawa not to spark up just yet because the decriminalization measures haven't been passed.

Conservative MP Elsie Wayne said she found Manley's glib response shocking.

"I really can't get over what he said about it being stylish or cool," said the MP for St. John, N.B.

Wayne said Manley is sending the wrong signal both to organized crime and to impressionable youths.

"I'm in utter shock."

© Copyright 2003 The Canadian Press

Phish Stick ???

quote:

i smoked a joint of male shake the other day just for the taste,

...if it's just for the taste man, why not burn some kind hindu kush...or some tasty blueberry??

can't say I've smoked males for the taste before...more like, it's all i got!!!

Archived