Jambands.ca

what music do you dislike?

shitidiot

Good topic !

Some are obvious for me...

Crap pop, like Britney, Ashlee, etc., but that goes without saying.

New country. Blah.

I can't say I like Nickleback, but I certainly don't hate them, they're neutral for me.

I like Rush, especially their older stuff. And I know a female that loves Rush ! Only 1, though.

As far as a contoversial choice, a talented musician that many people I know love, but I HATE... Tom Waits. Can't stand him, never have. When people play his "gargling broken glass" awful noise, I can't wait for it to end. And I like many musicians with imperfect voices: Dylan, Neil, etc., I just can't stand that pretentious sounding, unpleasant T. Waits.

For an aside, I'm poing to list Dead songs I dislike (I can't hate anything by them). I love most of their songs, but not these:

BIODTL (especially with DJ)

Corrina (but nobody likes it)

Eternity

Just a Little Light

Tennessee Jed (reminds me of an a-hole that used to play it)

And, it's not hate, more "blah", but most Phish since hoist, I find really Blah, though I love Junta, and Rift, and their shows, especially festivals, I found Phish more and more dull and self indulgent as the years went by, especially at coventry where I'm looking at my watch as Trey's dull solo during (I think) Split Open & Melt seemed like half an hour.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not like U2, REM, Tragically Hip, Nu-anything, woman musicians who sell their bodies rather than thier music, Psuedo-latin music....I could go on..

Man, I am sad that not a lot of people like Hip-Hop.. you guys are missing out on a lot of good music. I am also sad that people have just lumped all hip hop together, cause many of them are super talented. K-Os is hip-hop for people that don't like hip-hop...Check him out cause you will be pleasently surpirzed...

Yes, their are many hip-hop artists that are about the wrong things but there are also soo many that care about thier music and have a TON of talent...

For an aside, I'm poing to list Dead songs I dislike (I can't hate anything by them). I love most of their songs, but not these:

BIODTL (especially with DJ)

Corrina (but nobody likes it)

Eternity

Just a Little Light

Tennessee Jed (reminds me of an a-hole that used to play it)

wow! I love all those songs, including Corinna (one R and 2 N's)

"I hope the irony isn't lost on you that other than the Gravediggaz, the artists you mention were all around pre-'92... In fact KRS-One's best work was definately with Boogie Down Productions, Tribe and De La also put out their most monumental works pre-'92... It goes back to me saying that most "new" rappers aren't terribly gifted, in comparison to their predecesors anyways... Those that were good can obviously stand the test of time... (Well, KRS-One has really gone to the shits lately... Compared to his work with BDP anyways...)"

Digable Planets - Reachin'(a new refutation of time and space) / 1993

Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East / 1994

Common (Sense) - Resurrection / 1994

I think what you're talking about is the western explosion of hip-hop and the subsequent "Gangsta Rap" phenomena... and everybody agrees that Tupac was without musical merit at all... except perhaps the professor who teaches the class on his music at Berkely. ::

Wu-Tang helped, but they were east coast... Rap was already getting huge before the east coast explosion that happened around 1993... I loved what Wu-Tang was trying to do, too bad they peaked with their first record... Method Man's first album was solid as well... Still though, you have to tip your hat to Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" album, as well as Snoop's "Doggy Style" CD for really taking rap to a new level... (Which in turn forced everyone to try to copy them, VERY unsuccessfully, I might add...)

Genius/GZA - Liquid Swordz :)

Jurassic 5?

Blackalicious?

Tube - Your brother and I have something in common. You need to re-analyze your idea of wasting time... you like to fish.

Add; I don't mean to be angry but seriously, PP is not joking. Rhyming is fu©ked. I had to change my entire train of thought when I learned to rhyme first, in grade 5 or so. When I picked it back up in highschool I took it seriously. I hunted for conscious music to DJ with and for lyrical inspiration. I consider myself to have been rapping for about 12 years or so and it has only helped to make me more worldly, aware, and articulate. Hip-hop was responsible for leading me toward studying anthropology (and japanese for the tongue twisting :P ). I learned another people's history to the degree that I feel an insider. It increased exponentially my ability to understand reggae and caribbean patois. From there it taught me about my own history and where the two became interconnected during the middle passage. It also taught me about Canada's secret history as a refuge for the politically oppressed of the United States during the Underground Railroad.

(BTW, because of my knowledge of the railroad and Hip-hop I met and got to know one of my best friends, whose family is descended partly from the Undrground railroad and who I still rhyme with.)

What I'm saying is that hip-hop IS ghetto school as far as "hood" information. It organises political responses to challenges such as the case of Mumia Abu Jamal. Hip-hop helped incite the L.A. riots. It is powerful

stuff. I can't discount it as a waste of my time, it's part of my culture.

Hip-hop has changed the world. The only way to do that is to change people.

As far as the death of the blues. Hip-hop is the blues. It is a retrogression, re-organising other sounds into patterns that resemble the repetitive structures of the 12 bar blues, stretched to 16 bars to fit the popular 4/4 time of most western music that could be found on record easily. The lyrics are the voices of the griot, the african storyteller, just like the blues. Hip-hop has more room for lyrical improvisation, but why would we appreciate that? It's only stream of consciousness poetry. ::

onelove

ian