Jambands.ca

Seeing without sight

paisley

was thinking more along the lines of a six sense... its not too hard for me to picture lifelong blind folks developing a light 'radar' type sense... maybe heightened senses of hearing, smelling and touch can add up to a sense that can 'see' shapes or textures without doing so visually

... maybe heightened senses of hearing, smelling and touch can add up to a sense that can 'see' shapes or textures without doing so visually

I think you're on to something here. I was surprised the article didn't touch on synesthesia -- the blending/melding/overlapping of the senses. I personally experience varying degrees of synesthesia on e and I find the whole 'science' wild. Synesthetes (and I have no idea if I'm doing justice to the spelling) are people who "hear colours" or experience tastes as a texture, etc.

I believe we do take in huge amounts of sensory data that we don't process consciously/pay attention to -- but that that painter must be way more attuned to his sensory inputs, even (or especailly) if they're not going through what we've come to consider the "proper" channels -- seeing colour through our eyes, for example. Perhpas to him, red is a taste, a smell...I wonder if this is making sense to anyone else? It's so difficult to express in words.

A long time ago I saw a doc on the topic where scientists discovered that all babies are synesthetic and only over time and exposure, does the brain lay down those "proper/accepted" neural pathways that says smells will be dealt with in this part of the brain, sounds in this part over here, and eventaully we are trained out of our synesthetic abilities!