Jambands.ca

BSS Album Recommendations?

Del

I'm looking to see what people's favorite Broken Social Scene albums are... Side projects as well... Basically anything good by the members of the band. I've been getting a little more into them and I honestly have no idea where to start. Any thoughts?

Where's the Arcade Fire Connection Blane?

You forgot it is really the top shelf although thanks to Luke I gave Do Make Say Think a listen and fell hard for them. Can't believe I didn't see them in Guelph with a string csection. Jason Collett is not my bag but The Stars most definitely are.

I'm going to say The Stars' Set Yourself on Fire would be a good starter for you Del.

Definitely give Winter Hymn Secret Hymn Country Hymn by Do Make a chance. All of their albums are good but the newest has an epic arc to it (basically 3 suites of music with three songs per suite)- live they play from their whole repertoire but work in the hymns throughout the set. For interest's sake I get the sense that Brad Barr prefers Do Make to BSS, at least it makes a lot of sense to him musically and both the Slip and Do Make are approaching similar musical ideas around group improvisation from different vantage points. One observation Weirdness made about Do Make live was that it reminded him of Pink Floyd's Atom Mother Heart- there is definitely something really emotional and really psychedelic about their live playing. Have no worries about missing them this summer past as they are booked to play all of the Canadian jazz fests as far as I know.

Oh and Del you'd never find this but if or when I run into you I'll throw you this Gesundheit disc which is a Do Make death metal side project!

i have '& yet & yet' from do make say think, and i think its quite good.

i'd also say that some things do make are doing are more similar to new things that the slip are trying out, if that helps any, Del.

and im gonna take the opposite route from the 'roo... the stars album has yet to grab me by the balls, but i thought the few jason collet songs i saw him do a few months back were pretty good.

and nice work for do make on all the jazz fests this year... who's got my heady london jazz fest??? hahaha... the only time i saw do make it was epic. maybe half full, if that, at call the office, some awesome fungus, and i just went for a little swim... go see them if you get the chance.

edit: not that they're part of the BSS family tree, but you might also get into some recent King Cobb Steelie, Del... i have their lastest album (at least i think its their latest), destroy all codes, and aside from one down-tempo-ish tune with a female singer, in a similar vein to what the new deal has done int he past, its a pretty kickass disc.. even that tune isnt too bad... but i think you'd find the whole feel of the record to be similar to a bss, or dmst, or whatever.. their live show definitely was, anyways.

you know, i gotta say, i really gave this stars album, set yourself on fire, a real go today. i had a long tedious bus mission to go on in the rain, so i took it along with some headphones and put it on repeat, and to be honest, i havent been able to stop listening to it all day. maybe it was the right time and place, maybe i was stoned, or maybe i just had a sh!tty day, but either way, i have a whole new appreciation for the cd... i actually think this fu©ker's gonna keep growing on me, but im already at the "loving it" stage. it's definitely worth listening to quite a bit.

there's a couple things that i really like about a lot of these records.. one is their storytelling, the style with which they write their little short stories, the songs, the words they use, and the content, what they're actually saying.. some of it is really poetic... and musically, they all have these explosive epic qualities that are similar in many ways to really great sex. peaks and valley's everywhere, vigorous tensions, teasing, and climactic explosions throughout... makes me just wanna spray everywhere. i love this sh!t.

OK, as I'm sure has been posted on here (I looked for the link, but couldn't find it) Apostle of Hustle is playing at Zaphod's in Ottawa on Saturday... AofH is a side project fronted by BSS's guitarist Andrew Whiteman... It starts at 9pm, and advance tickets are $10... I'm very seriously considering going to this, and was wondering if any skancs were thinking of going as well...

I haven't given The Stars much of a chance just yet, but the two songs of theirs on the Arts & Crafts sampler cd definitely didn't motivate me to up and buy their album. I like the AofH disc a lot though. Del you might as well also grab BSS's older album, Feel Good Lost. Mostly instrumental, equally as good as YFIIP.