Jambands.ca

Fat Cats 2005-02-19 Pepper Jacks

Esau

Alright,after a rather long wait for approval its finally up.

I decided to attempt to fix the level issues that occured. You'll hear where the levels were adjusted around 6 minutes in to the 3rd song. (Climb)and I feel it turned out pretty good,but I'll leave ya'll to decide.

So after years of working on other peoples recordings,here it is...my first recording...

Fat Cats

The Pepper Jack Cafe

Hamilton,Ontario

Canada

2005-02-19

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=22580

I've got it on right (midway through d1t04 so far), and it sounds pretty good*. I can't compare it to what the room sounded like, but I think I can hear most of the instruments distinctly, and the vocals sound good.

Keep up the good work, Esau, we need more of this kind of thing happening.

Aloha,

Brad

* I figure that if my recordings sound better than the worst recordings I've heard, I'm doing an OK job.

Thanks Brad,

I was hoping to get some feedback from you,the masters sound completley different,about 2 minutes into the show I guess the board guy decided to turn down the levels and for some reason it dropped considerably to the point that I would have to turn the volume up at least 5 points to have it sound close to the beginning and then about 6 minutes into Climb the levels jumped out louder then the beginning.It sounded sorta flat the first couple times I listened to it but after some SF7 magic I felt I got it up to an even plane (volume that is).

* I figure that if my recordings sound better than the worst recordings I've heard, I'm doing an OK job.

Thats a great way to look at it to Brad,I know I have numerous recordings (Fat Cats) by different folks over the years that sound pretty rough so looking at it from that angle really puts a more positive look on it for sure.

I just gotta start going slower with the text files,I seem to rush through them and notice things after I upload it and I have yet to have good luck in updating them afterwards...

Again thanks for your input its much appreciated.

Cheers

One crazy thing I have noticed is when I stream this show I don't get the songs in order,I went from d1t06 to d2t02 then back to d1t01...wtf?

Thanks Greg for this. It's always nice to listen to your favourite band's show from two nights ago despite being 5000 miles away from it. Means alot to me.

My pleasure Shain.

I hope the UK is treating you well & your enjoying yourself,your definatley missed around steeltown buddy.

Thats a great way to look at it to Brad,I know I have numerous recordings (Fat Cats) by different folks over the years that sound pretty rough so looking at it from that angle really puts a more positive look on it for sure.

That's an attitude I adopted to avoid getting mad at myself for not doing the "best job" possible. The way I look at it, live amateur recordings are more like documentary filmmaking than feature (fiction) filmmaking. Nobody really cares that the image quality of, say, Hearts Of Darkness isn't as good as Apocalypse Now, because its purpose isn't to look good, but to present what happened there at that time. I'd love it if I could produce recordings that sounded as good as professionally-produced live albums, but I'm not going to get on my own case if I can't; I'd rather spend my energies/efforts/time/money making several decent-sounding recordings than one excellent-sounding one.

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. The "Row Jimmy" from this show is awesome! So laid-back and comfortable...

• 2 weeks later...