Jambands.ca

Richard Manuel died on this day 3/4/1986

TimmyB

Glad I got to expirence the Band with Richard before he decided to leave us.

There was incredible emotion in that guys voice.Sad loss thats for sure.

haas_2_dec_71_tag.jpg

April 3, 1943 - March 4, 1986. Too soon gone.

"Isn't everybody dreaming?--then the voice I hear is real.

Out of all the idle scheming, can't we have something to feel?"

"In a Station",Richard Manuel

-------------------------------------

Remembering Richard.

I really like Richard, however when you watch The Last Waltz, it is apparent that all is not right with him, even back then. I know the whole band and Martin were gooned on drugs during the filming, but Richard's behaviour was unsettling.

R.I.P. Richard Manuel

YES man, I've mentioned on this board many, many times that I recommend Levon's book to any Band fan. It truly puts everything into perspective. The prologue is an account of the day Richard killed himself, and his subsequent funeral. Levon writes that, at the funeral, Garth Hudson played "I Shall Be Released" on the church organ, and everybody present sang along. There wasn't a dry eye in the place. It really gave a good tug to the heartstrings when, shortly after having read the book, I sat down to watch Festival Express in full and came to the scene where the Band is closing the Winnipeg show and Richard is belting out I Shall Be Released. Very sad to know that 16 years later, a chorus of his family and friends would be singing it at his funeral. He was one of the good ones.

RIP Richard Manuel

haas_2_dec_71.jpg