Jambands.ca

I think I like the Slip...

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

... nah just kidding.

But now that I have your attention allow me to mention some bands that I think are worth they hype they receive:

- Interpol: Some people dismiss them as a Joy Division rip-off, but that simply ins't the case. Their latest album Antics is pure indie-rock goodness, reminiscent of Sonic Youth, Television, or The Pixies crossbread with Broken Social Scene, Stars, or The Arcade Fire.

- Roots Manuva: By far the best hip-hop I've listened to in a VERY long time. Unlike all the mainstream hip-hop that deals with the generic bitches, money, and more bitches, Roots Manuva focuses heavily on the common everyday life experience of life in the outskirts of London. Reminiscent of Tricky or Blackalicious, Roots Manuva's music is original, funky, and tight.

- !!!: More indie-rock goodness. This band reminded me at times of Grand Theft Bus, at other times of some kind of industrial music beast. Their latest album Louden Up Now is a great driving disc.

- Iron & Wine: The best thing going in folk music today. A sweet sympathetic voice and a delicate acoustic guitar are the main ingredients of this amazing band. It's hard not to simply close your eyes while listening to Our Numbered Endless Days, and drift off to a place where your biggest worry is a passing could blocking your sun while you rest under a tree.

... nah just kidding.

But now that I have your attention allow me to mention some bands that I think are worth they hype they receive:

- Interpol: Some people dismiss them as a Joy Division rip-off, but that simply ins't the case. Their latest album Antics is pure indie-rock goodness, reminiscent of Sonic Youth, Television, or The Pixies crossbread with Broken Social Scene, Stars, or The Arcade Fire.

- Iron & Wine: The best thing going in folk music today.

I agree that Sam Beam ( Iron & Wine is basically just Sam ) is the best newish voice in folk going these days.

Interpol = Television, Sonic Youth, BSS?

If Interpol did resemble those bands, I may like them. But from what I've heard, they are Joy Division derivative. However, I'll take Interpol over those posers The Killers any day.

- Iron & Wine:

I dig these guys,I was lucky enough to come across a copy of Call Your Boys (2002),I haven't heard much else from them after 2002 though, but I dig em.I mentioned on a folk messegeboard I'm on that I had this album & was offered some decent cash for it,I guess there wasn't many printed...

Guest Low Roller

Well a comparison to Sonic Youth is actually unfair because Sonic Youth cover a lot of sonic ground, and Interpol only reminds me of a sliver of that. Out of the whole pop-prog-rock movement happening now I'd say that Interpol leads the pack by far, closely followed by Franz Ferdinand. I can't stand the Killers.

As far as the Television comparison, Interpol are definitely a smoother, more studio refined version of the famous NYC punk-rock band.

Guest Low Roller

I have three Iron & Wine CDs: Our Endless Numbered Days, The Creek Drank the Cradle, and The Sea & The Rhythm, and they are all amazing.

I actually don't like Franz Ferdinand either. The current revival wave of 80's influenced shoe-gazing/post-New Wave/Brit-Pop turns my stomach.

Careful with calling Television a punk band. They have punk elements, but 15 minute guitar solos, intricate instrumental breaks and sparce and arty lyrics are if anything, anti-punk.

Guest Low Roller

Television was punk in the live show sense where their performances were apparently very animated in a trashy kind of way. Their music does not reflect that though. Quite the oddity they are.

Franz Ferdinand suffers from overexposure. I think their album is solid from start to finish, but when you hear them all day, you will get sick of them.

Interpol is a mix of the show-gazing with the head-bobbing and toe-tapping. ::

I like CBGB's sound mimicked by The Strokes, even though their two albums are interchangeable.

It's the 80's English Brit-Pop resurgence that I don't like. It's a personal " sound " thing for me. I never liked Brit-Pop when it was popular in the early 80's, so Franz Ferdinand and The Killers don't do much for me today. I think FF are talented however and they write good songs... just not for me.

Guest Low Roller
It's the 80's English Brit-Pop resurgence that I don't like.

Well then you're in luck because Interpol are an American band!

(p.s. you have a spelling mistake in your signature, unless you really mean to say "I'll pretend I didn't heat that" which makes me question your culinary abilities.)

interpol is really good. i saw them open for the cure last summer, and i was very pleasantly surprised. by the time i got in the venue they were already on, and it was enough to make me race to the stage & ask strangers who they were. i was especially impressed because they seem really young, and they are already very good. i'd definitely like to hear more of them.

thanks for posting this, lowroller, i'm going to check some of these out.

Guest Low Roller
Worst thread in the history of internet messages boards.

Why's that Booche? Were you expecting me to finally come around and proclaim Brad Barr the second coming of Jerrytrey? Were you hoping that I've finally seen the light and was ready to receive the Slip's seed? Fat chance fatty.

Don't forget who introduced you to Iron & Wine either.

Guest Low Roller

Well I'd like to think about it as having my finger in many pies, because it reminds me of American Pie and then I giggle.

But seriously, I'd rather try to find new things to discuss and new music to explore rather than flogging an old horse to death. The Dead's best era was in the 70's, yet "the scene" dragged on for a couple more decades while Jerry's debilitating drug addiction, encouraged by his "faithful" fans no less with their role in shaping of said scene, shriveled his health.

To this day I bet you still sit down in your worn out tye dye with a beer in one hand and "seeing the music" with your other, with an old Dead show on the system, reliving what happened at those shows in 1990 or whatever, lamenting that there will never be a band like that again. Meanwhile awesome bands like Interpol, Iron & Wine, and others are actively touring and its members aren't all dead and/or senile. So take an active interest in the current music landscape, and let the past stay in the past. Maybe you can discover another band worth touring with.

Guest Low Roller
I am amazed at how dumb you have become............

Continue on with your weakly thought out and incorrect generalizations. Your poor brain.

What's a matter man, are things getting a little too real for you???

Don't forget who introduced you to Iron & Wine either.

Same goes for you, Mr. Roller! ;)

I like when people here get into tech talk on the new music.. I just haven't heard much of the artists you listed. Except for Iron & Wine, whom I am loving consistently but I've still only heard The Creek Drank The Cradle. I think having that song on the Garden State soundtrack has really given him a kick. I'd like to see him live at a place like the Black Sheep in the summer months.

Here's what its got:

1. "Don't Panic" - Coldplay

2. "Caring is Creepy" - The Shins

3. "In the Waiting Line" - Zero 7

4. "New Slang" - The Shins

5. "I Just Don't Think I'll Get Over You" - Colin Hay

6. "Blue Eyes" - Cary Brothers

7. "Fair" - Remy Zero

8. "One of These Things First" - Nick Drake

9. "Lebanese Blonde" - Thievery Corporation

10. "The Only Living Boy In New York" - Simon & Garfunkel

11. "Such Great Heights" - Iron and Wine

12. "Let Go" - Frou Frou

13. "Winding Road" - Bonnie Somerville

I'm digging The Shins a lot right now too.

Andre " Booche " and I were discussing great soundtracks and he recommended Garden State. I in turn recommended the soundtrack for In Good Company ( the music was dominant throughout that fairly decent film ) - I'd skip song #7:

Glass, Concrete & Stone - David Byrne

Sister Surround - Soundtrack of Our Lives

Naked As We Came - Iron & Wine

Chain of Fools - Aretha Franklin

Sunset Soon Forgotten - Iron & Wine

The Chase - Stephen Trask

Besame Mucho - Diana Krall

Ten Years Ahead - Soundtrack of Our Lives

The Arrival - Stephen Trask

Reelin in the Years - Steely Dan

Salisbury Hill - Peter Gabriel

The Trapeze Swinger - Iron & Wine