Jambands.ca

Gypsy Co-Op presents: Gypsy Jazz

SmoothedShredder

websiteGypsy.jpg

The Gypsy Co-op Jazz Groove Series Delivers the FUNK

INTRODUCING THE HEINKEN GYPSY CO-OOP GROOVE JAZZ SERIES

The Gypsy Co-Op and Heinekin are proud to present the Gypsy Co-op Groove Jazz series. The series runs every Friday night starting May 6th with sensational act LAL launching the series. Come see great live music at a warm and intimate venue in the heart of Queen St. W

The Gypsy Co-op’s Jazz Groove series is a 10-week series start every Friday in May – July. Each successive Friday night The Gypsy Co-op will host the top Canadian and American jazz funk, electro jazz and urban groove artists.

May’s Schedule:

May 6th – LAL w/ guests Platypi

May 12 – Mr. Something Something w/ DJ Medicine Man

May 20 – Chameleon Project, The Void plus DJs Rolin’ Cash and Jamie Kidd

May 27 – Montreal’s Kobayashi w/ DJ Goldfinger

The Gypsy Co-Op is located at 817 Queen St. West, two blocks west of Bathurst in the heard of the Queen West Arts District. A full service restaurant and lounge by day, The Gypsy will transform in a matter of minutes into a bumping live venue with stage and world class sound system. With a full service bar and in-house candy store the Gypsy’s bohemian ambiance and soulful music will delight all of your senses.

LAL:

There's no doubt there is a strange chemistry between the two founders of the down-tempo crew LAL. It is a mix of hip hop beats, jazz excursions, electro worldbeat and sweet vocal melodies that have had wide critical exclaim. Eclectic and adventurous, and mixing everything they know, LAL is at the forefront of the nu jazz and world music fusion scene in Canada.

More to come!....

Edited by Guest

This will be a great series no doubt!

I saw LAL on Friday night in Toronto and they were great... Super powerful and concious singing, great percussionist, and two guys on laptops doing beats, one who switches back and forth on an upright bass. He can really play.

Highly recommended.

AD

"The meaning of a word is its use" L.Wittgenstien. I'm trying to convey the use of the word jazz as conversationalist music, either scripted, or adlibed, but certainly with signiffacant amounts of both. Perhaps an adjective would of provided you with a direction to the jazz in the series, though I found it hard to pick only one with this line up, and it started to look silly on the flyer, so I regressed to the broadest definition I thought could contain it. Sure this isn't the 'traditional' jazz that fits so nicely with-in the realm of d'jango to be-bop to headhunting to crooning... but it certainly posseses the same spirit that each of the prior-mentioned was born from. Hope that clears it up. :)

~W

I'd like to think of jazz as an attitude to the creation of music which is ultimately ineffable (in the Louis Armstrong "If you have to ask what jazz is you'll never know" sort of way) - which is probably exactly why nobody can agree on what it is. I don't know what any of these bands sound like, but I'm guessing they have that attitude - guess then I'll have to check them out when I can (good hook, W!).

These bands will be downstairs, not upstairs?

Ah, Louis... is there anyone closer to a 30's or 40's Delta Buddah? I don't think so. Gone Fishin' with Bing comes to mind. Thanks Doctor. I'll tell you what it's not... it's not Alt-rock-country. So don't be expecting no Wilco covers... but if they come up, don't be upset.

And yes, the bands will be downstairs. Behold the wonderful new stage, and sound system the Gypsy will have created for this great series.

~W

pardon my ignorance - where is the "jazz"?

md

I can tell you exactly where the jazz is. Right here. I play in the Chameleon Project and have a honors degree in Jazz Guitar performance and musicology and every other member of the band is either in school for Jazz or has attended. Jazz improvisation and harmony is at the heart of the Chameleon Project, and in fact we do play standards. Green Dolphin St. and Song for my Father, to name a couple.

I think that you are perhaps just not aware of the musical scope of the bands involved in this hip new concert series and thier repitoire. Not all Jam-bands are rooted in rock.

Jazz comes in many forms and from many players.

Please listen to samples of our album to see what I mean.. www.cdbaby.com/cd/chameleonproject

or better yet see it live.

Chameleon_Totem.jpg

Now if only lived in Toronto... hmmm.. start one of these puppies in Mtl, I could find you bands.. Dibondoko, Free Oxygen, Azuris Aurum, Tala, Sneekers, Project X, Kobayashi etc... All the bands are getting tired of Le swimming, we need some new (good) venues. nudge, nudge, ;) , ;) .

and I'm too shitty with business to do it meself.

If only "everyone" did JC, but if Goat Horn has their way, everyone would be at the Kathedrial Friday for some Death Metal.

Well, if it's good enough for Montreal it's good enough for me, thx Funch. Looks like I've found a new friend from a far away! I'll look into these bands when I get a chance... we've got a date (or two) in June, and then the schedule gets wide open.

~W