Jambands.ca

Elliott Smith vs. Nick Drake

dJEd

ok these cats were somewhat similar and i think this makes for good time wasting.

i'm a bit of a wanker for artist to artist comparisons.

let me start by saying i have all the major releases from both artists so its not like comparing Chilliwack to Nazareth or something. i'm an idiot.

anyway...

personally i like smElliott a lot more than Nick. well. well maybe not a lot more, but more. elliott has more material though.

i wish i could make polls. or even poles.

I have to disagree. Based on lyrics I enjoy Nick Drake more becaue he isn't as dark. His voice is sweet, haunting and leaves a huge emotional impression on the listener. Eliiot's by no means a lesser lyricist nor has less of an effect. I just tend to lean towards Nick.

Sad, ragged and raw. That sums it up neatly.

If I have a discman and headphones I'd put on Either/Or, and if I'm alone and high I'll probably be crying at the end. If I'm full of rage I'll put on Pink Moon and by the last track I'll be calm again...kind of like Donovan but with less of the wierdness.

They're each suited to different moods but between the two I'd lean towards Elliot if only because his albums were mixed properly, and because his multi-tracked voice sounds incredible on the most recent (forget the name of it now..the one released after his death)

Basement on the Hill is gold. apparently there was a lot of dispute redgarding the ifnal mix. some of the songs were finished according to rothrock or somebody and the other guy who was resposible for the final sound said otherwise. i don't know.

Twilight is my fave from that particular record.