Jambands.ca

Pearl Jam Voted Greatest American Rock Band Ever

secondtube

Also, what pisses me off about a lot of people on this board is that they can't break free from the jamband scene once in a while and just appreciate anything slightly more mainstream that is good. What is wrong with some good hard-driven rock and roll? Why do musicians need to circle jerk on their instruments for 30 mins to get a rise out of some of you people?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

Preach on aberg! It's good to have another kindred spirit on this board.

And I can always count on PalacePrincess to bring the Nirvana goodness. ;)

Also, what pisses me off about a lot of people on this board is that they can't break free from the jamband scene once in a while and just appreciate anything slightly more mainstream that is good. What is wrong with some good hard-driven rock and roll? Why do musicians need to circle jerk on their instruments for 30 mins to get a rise out of some of you people?

Hear, hear!

I also think it's pretty odd that many people here tend to believe that anyone who becomes successful is either a sell-out, or has somehow been corporately-managed to the top of the charts. Not every chart-topper is a manager-run Backstreet Boys (although, obviously, some are, too).

Having said that, I'm not particularly a big fan of Pearl Jam. They do have my respect though, as a hard-working talented rock band - it's just Vedder's singing voice/style that puts me off.

i'm not even really that interested in the "jamband" scene. the bans i like that get lumped in there aren't even really jam bands.

what the fuck is a jamband anyway? these are roups i consider to be logjambands. SCI moe. Govt Mule, UM. i dont really like any of them. i love the Slip but i will fight anyone who calls them a jamband to the death.

Tired and old argument boys. C'mon, get off your short-sighted high-horses.

There have been tons of discussions, dissections and praises of virtually every genre of popular music on this site... at nausea.

And what do you expect music conversation topics to lean towards on a site called Jambands.ca anyway... Interpol vs The Killers: Which is the next true great shoe-gazer band? ; or Depeche Mode vs Franz Ferdiand: Pansies or kindred spirits?

If anything, I think this site has shifted focus since Phish's inevitable and some would say welcome demise. Even though the Canadian jam scene seems to have diminished somewhat over the last few years ( which has been argued at length ), rock music in this country is going through a mini renaissance. Just look at the backlash Live 8 in Barrie garnered when they selected dinosaur acts over established mainstream artists and exciting Canadian buzz bands.

By having an open thread about Pearl Jam and having many responses both negative but generally positive supporting the band's legacy, then you sort of go against your arguement.

And with that, Pearl Jam themselves took themselves out of the mainstream long ago with their anti-video stance, mediocre album sales and only generated one chart topping single in the last 5 years ( which was a cover ).

Whether or not this is www.jambands.ca or not, it's obvious that there are enough people here that appreciate non-"jambands". My comments were mostly aimed at the very misinformed and immature post that I quoted in my first reply. Comments like that aggravate me to no end, but I'm not losing sleep over it. I agree with what you're saying Jaimoe, I really do. I don't consider myself short-sighted, I just get my back up when people display such astounding levels of ignorance and fail to give credit to bands where credit is due regardless of whether or not they like the music.

With respect to Pearl Jam though, their decision to leave the path to over-inflated egoism in 1993 by ceasing to do interviews, videos, singles, and by attacking ticketmaster, etc... I believe those actions gave the band the longevity it now has earned. It bugs me when people crap on the band having only heard TEN songs on the radio. Does the band decide what songs are played on the radio? No. Those songs are played because they are the ones that fall within the early 90s "grunge" label which still takes up radio airplay. I feel the band has only gotten more creative as they've aged, going to the roots of rock and roll, and they've now got their own cult following. All you need to do is read up a little on the band to realize you're not dealing with a stale group still "milking it" from their early successes. I could go on, but I think I'm probably starting to bore people.. in any case, like Eddie Vedder or not, you can't deny his creative genius.

I like Eddie as a lyricist too.

I remember when Ten came out, Eddie said that the band the music recorded and they were looking for a lead singer and lyricist. They gave him the tracks and he went and wrote lyrics and melody to the songs. When the band heard what he came up with, Eddie was hired immediately.

Yup, that was the Mamasan trilogy - Alive, Footsteps, and Once.

They sent him a tape with the music recorded, he took like 72 hours to dub lyrics overtop ... and apparently was surfing the whole time he was thinking up that shit - and yup, hired instantly. His childhood is definitely interesting to read about too and was the source for lots of the lyrics on TEN.

i think we can all argee that bands of such talent and influence as country joe and the fish, CSNY and the Band should have been on the list over stupid Journey or the other crap. And, of course, they completely neglected the master of rock and roll, the man who originated pretty much every rhythm in the genre, Bo Diddly. Ahhhhh, so easy to pick on the ignorance of uneducated USA Today readers.