Jambands.ca

Ryan Adams on life, dope, the Dead and Bryan

zero

There's a long interview on Pitchfork with Ryan Adams. It's worth the read. Here's the bit about Phil, the bit about his one interaction with Bryan Adams is pretty classic too.

Pitchfork: Right, and the Dead-- last time we talked you were listening to Winterland, and now you're playing shows with Phil Lesh.

Adams: Can you believe that? He sent me the setlist for Fillmore and for Red Rocks, and all I can say is, someone's gotta learn "Dark Star"! I just hope I don't fucking blow it.

Pitchfork: Has he heard Cold Roses?

Adams: Yeah. That's why he called me. I played with him at the Jammies, and then he just called one day and was like, 'Your record means a lot to me.' And the next call I got was that we should play together. And I said OK, and the next thing after that was 'You're booked to play Red Rocks.' And I was like, oh shit!

But we've jammed before. At Stubb's in Austin we played "Bird Song" and "Wharf Rat". But I think maybe people didn't know who he was or something. I mean, the reviewer just goes "Oh, he was totally tempestuous, the sound was terrible, Ryan Adams sucks!" and forgets to mention that we closed with a 30-fucking-minute version of "Wharf Rat." I guess it's not worth reviewing the whole show.

I saw Ryan Adams for the first time this year at the Kool Haus (Not Bryan Adams, who I saw for the second time this year at Live 8) and I really enjoyed the show.

Ryan has a voice like an angel and his catalogue of material is right up my alley.

I wished that I could have attended those recent Phil Lesh & Friends shows in Colorado with Ryan and I hope that Lesh takes him on the road to a venue closer to home soon or maybe even bonnaroo next year.

This portion of the interview goes a ways to accounting for the rift between indy and jam culture. By the way were you at the Red Rocks show MarcO?

Pitchfork: That's gotta feel good. Are you listening to anything good right now?

Adams: The Dead.

Pitchfork: You're totally on this one-man crusade, and I appreciate this on many levels, to rescue the Grateful Dead. To prove they were punks.

Adams: They were pirates!

Pitchfork: They get so much shit.

Adams: I have friends who say they hate them, but I always go "Why?" I don't understand. Do they get shit from indie rockers? Do indie rockers hate the Dead?

Pitchfork: People respond very badly to the culture of the Dead. And I'm sure it has something to do with that earnestness. You know, I mean, think about how earnest you have to be to follow a band around, how honest you have to be about that love. It's totally uncool.

Adams: Right! Negativity equals wit, right?

Pitchfork: Same with detachment.

This portion of the interview goes a ways to accounting for the rift between indy and jam culture. By the way were you at the Red Rocks show MarcO?
Pitchfork: That's gotta feel good. Are you listening to anything good right now?

Adams: The Dead.

Pitchfork: You're totally on this one-man crusade, and I appreciate this on many levels, to rescue the Grateful Dead. To prove they were punks.

Adams: They were pirates!

Pitchfork: They get so much shit.

Adams: I have friends who say they hate them, but I always go "Why?" I don't understand. Do they get shit from indie rockers? Do indie rockers hate the Dead?

Pitchfork: People respond very badly to the culture of the Dead. And I'm sure it has something to do with that earnestness. You know, I mean, think about how earnest you have to be to follow a band around, how honest you have to be about that love. It's totally uncool.

Adams: Right! Negativity equals wit, right?

Pitchfork: Same with detachment.

well put.

"Something means something to you?! pfft."

seems more and more like the indie corner is peeking over the fence though

Edited by Guest
drunk.

hey hey, havn't posted in probably two years since I've bee globetrotting but why not start again?

Saw Ryan Adams wednesday night in Melbourne,Australia and wasn't too impressed. Definitely saw the talent and the show had a few moments but it just seemed to drag on and on without going anywhere. I am usually pretty generous with bands but we actually left before it was over because we were so tired of just standing there in a packed room.

Maybe I'm just too used to the amazing Melbourne music scene.

Peace from downunder.