Jambands.ca

August 8th deals

Guest Low Roller

Montreal - Montreal Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey announced the signing of forward Pierre Dagenais to a one-year contract.

As per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Dagenais, 27, played for Ajoie in the Swiss League in 2004-05. He recorded 10 points in seven games (5 goals, 5 assists) and led the team in playoff scoring with 14 points in six games (7 goals, 7 assists).

The 6'4", 217 pound native of Blainville had his best offensive season with the Canadiens in 2003-04 with 27 points in 50 games (17 goals, 10 assists).

Dagenais joined the Canadiens as a free agent on July 4, 2003. He registered 46 points in 110 career regular season games in the NHL (30 goals, 16 assists).

Just my opinion, but I think he's not a good choice for coach. He's too much of a nice guy. Also, his lip tends to quiver when he gets upset (recall his attempt to be inspirational during the 2002 Olympics) and it looks like he's going to cry. This won't inspire his team.

i disagree 100%. whether or not he'll be a great coach remains to be seen... it's still early, real early... like august 8th. ;)

but if there was ever a person in hockey for a team to be inspired by, it's wayne fuckin' gretzky.

too much of a nice guy? i dont know about that, cuz i've never met him, and even if i had, i dont think gretz would allow himself to be an asshole to his fans... same as, when he's doing an interview he's more diplomatic than anything.. i dont see this as nice-guy syndrome, but i would say he's got a shitload of class. what i'm getting at though, is that i dont think anyone accomplishes what he accomplished by being too much the nice guy... behind closed doors, on the ice, ya gotta have a meanstreak, ya gotta know when to get tough, ya gotta get fired up (find some old fired up, pissed off, 80's gretzky footage and tell me he's too much of a nice guy!) and to be a leader (which has proven himself time and again), ya gotta be able to tell people what's what and how!

and what i recall from gretzky's shot at inspiration from 2002 olympics, is that we won the gold. i guess it worked.

i disagree 100%. whether or not he'll be a great coach remains to be seen... it's still early, real early... like august 8th. ;)

Don't get me wrong... I'm as much of Gretzky fan as anyone else. I'd love to see him succeed as a coach. They did hire good assistant coaches who will help Wayne in a big way.

and what i recall from gretzky's shot at inspiration from 2002 olympics, is that we won the gold. i guess it worked.

Canada winning the gold medal had more to do with Tommy Salo giving up a soft goal against Belarus than with Gretzy's attempt to channel Phil Esposito. (Plus, Canada had an awesome team that really found its game by the medal round.)

On another topic - I'm still bitter that the Winnipeg Jets had to move to the friggin' desert. Had the current CBA been in place back then, it probably wouldn't have happenned.

hahaha.. ahhh, *that* goal... some people remember where they were when kennedy was shot, or when they found elvis on the shitter, or kurt with a shotgun blast through his head (i remember that one, too), or when the planes hit the towers (another one i remember!).... but i'll always remember where i was that moment when some dude from Belarus fired a puck at salo's head from center ice and canada won the gold. :)

i get your point, but i still dont think belarus had much to do with us winning the gold... we still woulda had to win 2 more games.. it doesnt really matter, though.. its not really the point... i just think gretzky's got the tools to be a great inspiration and a good coach. i mean, how're you gonna go out there and not try your best for a guy who scored 2800 some odd points by only having to do that? not only that, gretz wont embarrass himself, and i dont think he'll let anyone embrarrass him. or it's semenko time.