Jambands.ca

Aug 9th news

Booche

WITT A GONER?

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/08/AR2005080801548.html

According to the Washington Post defenceman Brendan Witt has asked for a trade. With the Caps being silent in the free agent market so far and with little hope of competing in the near future, Witt would like to go to a contender. There are plenty of teams who would really like to get a guy like Witt. The Avs need to fill in Adam Foote's shoes and could use this bruising blueliner. The Habs need a crease clearing defenceman to help out Souray and Komisarek. The Sens could use a rent-a-player in case Volchenkov decides to stay in Russia this season. The Canucks could use some more muscle on defence and some depth with Malik and Sopel gone. Witt also makes his home in Florida and we know how much Mike Keenan likes rugged blueliners. That is a strong possibility as well.

ANSON TO REPLACE VINCE IN TORONTO?

Source: http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2005/08/09/1165116-sun.html

According to the Toronto Sun, Anson Carter, a former Cap, is a possibility for the Leafs. Carter who is from Toronto and played youth hockey here would be a nice addition as he would be reunited with former teammate and linemate Jason Allison. After a couple of rough seasons, he would probably come cheap and for little term as he tries to redeem his career. This rumour is fairly legitimate unlike others we have heard as he could fit under the cap in Toronto and would fill a need for a top 6 forward. plus, with the departure of Vince Carter, Toronto needs another Carter to fill the void. I say JFJ, Get Carter!

STEVENS DONE?

Scott Stevens was one of the best defencemen in the last 15 years. He won 3 cups and was one of, if not the most dominating and intimidating blueliners in this era. Unfortunately injuries may have ended his career. He had concussion problems. I do not know all the facts. I have no idea about his condition right now. but when you see the Devils stock themselves with 7 legitimate NHL blueliners, it makes you wonder where their Captain, Scott Stevens fits in. I think if he were healthy he would have been the first guy brought back. But i think at his age, 41, his career may be over. i cannot see Stevens play anywhere else besides New Jersey. Lou Lamierello is a smart man and he would be pretty loyal to a guy like Scott and if he didnt resign him, then it tells you that he is pretty much done. And like Al MacInnis, I think we have just seen a great defencemen quietly leave the game on the wrong terms. If Stevens is well and makes a comeback, i think it would be great for him to go out his way. But if not, then I and many other fans will miss his intimidation, his big hits and his game face. I hope this guy gets into the Hall of Fame.

The Pittsburgh Penguins ongoing construction around Sidney Crosby continues.

Sportsnet has learned the Penguins have hired the experience of Sean Burke to take some of the burden off Marc Andre Fleury.

Sources tell Sportsnet Burke has agreed to a 2-year, $3-million deal and is expected to handle the majority of Pittsburgh netminding duties this season.

The Penguins also announced that the club has re-signed defenseman Rob Scuderi.

Guest Low Roller

The flyers have re-signed Kim Johnsson (sp?)...

Sean Burke was one of my idols growing up, right next to King Patrick. Interesting story, behind that... The Bruins eliminated the Habs in the 1st round of the playoffs (circa 1987), and the Bruins ended up playing the Devils in the 2nd round. I was so furious at Boston that for the first time ever, I cheered for another team than Montreal. I was really impressed with Sean Burke's play, and when the Devils won that series I was a hooked.

brkdvl.jpg

The Tampa Bay Lightning have re-signed restricted free agent defenseman Dan Boyle to a three-year contract and restricted free agent left wing Dmitry Afanasenkov to a one-year contract and have signed unrestricted free agent right wing Rob DiMaio to a two-year contract.