Jambands.ca

Dead Kennedys Tour

gentlemonkey

the guys in the dead kennedys have been suing jello's ass off over the last 10 years to get rights to the tunes, and have cost jello a lot of money amd time, to the point now that jello's just about outa dough. i don't know how good i'd feel about spending my $$ to see them...

Actually, I believe it was Jello doing the suing to get them to stop releasing old low quality stuff and using the name. There may be a counter-suit against Jello; but I don't know about that.

... and I agree that I couldn't see the current lineup of the DK's in good conscience. I'd see Jello in a heartbeat though.

I hear gentlemonkey's point on East Bay Ray having been a truly unique (and pretty wild) contributor to the guitar world

but also have a hard time picturing seeing the band without Jello, such a integral character to the act (though my friends in San Fran who met Jello said he was an arrogant prick, the night they bumped into him anyways... am sure there's people out there who say I'm an arrogant prick over the odd off-night I shared with the world)

maybe I'll drive out, pop my head in the door after the show starts and see what the music says to me... if I smell sellout I'm outta there... the DK's hold a special place in my heart

I think it was a case of Jello's label (Alternative Tentacles) which distributes DK's catalogue, paying all the royalties to Jello himself, and none to the band. Although I havent read about it extensively.

I agree the Jellos lyrics/vocals were the best part of the band, but from a business ethics standpoint, he doesnt seem like the good guy here. Its all kind of sad i guess, but I think if it was around the corner from me, I'd go see the spectacle.

I had heard, during one of Jello's spoken word tours, that he was suing them to get them to stop using the name and selling old recordings for commercial use. I think he ended up losing Alternative Tentacles and several hundred thousand dollars. That's only part of his side of the story though. The other guys have never told me anything. I'm sure they have a different view point.

Edited by Guest

First...according to the Alternative Tentacles website Jello does in fact still own the label. I am personally a big fan of the DK's and Jello in particular...I happen to agree with his stand on the issue with the other members of the band. Here is a statement from the Alternative Tentacles website:

Founded by Jello Biafra when he was a vocalist for Dead Kennedys, Alternative Tentacles has been through countless trials and legal hassles. The famous obscenity trial for the DK's Frankenchrist album resulted in a precedent setting victory for free speech, but nearly bankrupted the label. Amazingly, despite the numerous famous artists under attack at that time, only Frank Zappa and a couple of others tried to help.

Now Alternative Tentacles is at risk of total financial collapse once again, due to the latest court drama. This time, it isn't Jesse or Tipper or Falwell..it is the other three former members of Dead Kennedys. While Jello has stayed true to the ideals and vision of the early days of the band and label, the other three have been considerably less honorable. They have sought to seize control of the DK masters to cash in and use the songs for jeans commercials and other acts that total contadict what the band once stood for. Any Dead Kennedys release on a new label is unworthy of purchase.

Alternative Tentacles continues to issue recordings by numerous artists who would have much less of a chance being released on another label. Further, they have released countless spoken word releases by Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn and other voices that challenge abuses of power and the lies of the corporate media. Who Bombed Judi Bari (of Earth First) and All Things Censored (the censored recordings of Mumia Abu-Jamal) were also released on Alternative Tentacles.

It is time to support this vital label and assist valuable allies in the struggles for justice.

I can totally see how he could come of as a prick...and I think its 'cause he kinda is a prick. Maybe thats why I like him :)

Don't think I could ever support the DK's without Jello...Seen him a couple times and he blew me away...talked for like 4 hours (well he does blow minds for a living).

I was offered a chance to book a Hamilton date for the Dead Kennedys on August 10th, but I turned it down because I really thought there was too much of a question-mark to whether enough people would support a Jello-less DKs.

I think enough peopel would, but it just might not be worthit... jello's dream (likjely communal at the tiem) held up by the fella's who were a part of it still tryin to pay off the mortgage 25 years later is a little gamey

whatever the hell I'm talking aobut