Jambands.ca

Habs, Bruins clash in Moncton

dave-O

Here's our first BIG story of the day.

Habs, Bruins will clash Sept. 28

Times & Transcript Staff

The NHL is coming to Moncton after all.

The city was to host a pre-season game between the Montreal Canadiens and Boston Bruins last September, but it was scrapped due to the league's lockout.

Now, the NHL is back in business and the two teams will resume their long-standing rivalry Sept. 28 at the Moncton Coliseum.

The pre-season contest will start at 7 p.m.

"The Bruins-Habs rivalry is one for the ages," said Ian Fowler, director of community development for the City of Moncton.

"We lost this game last year as a result of the NHL lockout so we're happy we could bring this game back to Moncton this year."

Last year's scheduled pre-season game at the Coliseum was sold out and Fowler expects the same this time around.

"Everyone is glad the NHL is back in business and there's no question with the positive public response we had last year we think this game will be sold out," he said.

"We think the one-year wait will be worth it. The hype around the NHL's return is great and the fact this game is near the end of the pre-season schedule and most of the front end cuts will be made, people should see lineups that are something close to opening night rosters."

It will be the first time Moncton will host a NHL game since the now defunct Winnipeg Jets played in one over 10 years ago when the Moncton Hawks were their American Hockey League affiliate.

Tickets will go on sale at the Coliseum box office on Saturday.

Ticket price information is expected to be released soon, but fans that held onto their tickets from the cancelled game last year will have them honoured for this year's game.

"Basically, 1,100 people kept their tickets and those same tickets for the same seats will be honoured for this year's game," Fowler said.

Guest Low Roller

I am confused. What can be more real than the Montreal Canadiens playing the Boston Bruins in a pre-season NHL game??

You mean, like, regular season?

Guest Low Roller
Yes Andrew. Now go back and watch some soccer.

I'd kill for some pre-season hockey right now Jaimoe. Then again I'm not some bitter basement dwelling troll that's forced to watch Rapcity and Loud on continous loop and document it using dated technology as my job.

I'd probably lash out against pre-season NHL hockey in a small market town then as well.

The post was a joke folks. Seeing that I've seen 12 - 30 NHL games every season since 98/99, I'm not very excited abut this. But since there's like 7 of us posting in this forum, I thought I'd share the news.

I am, however, very excited about Moncton hosting the Memorial Cup in May!!

So, are you going to go to the game?

I would if I were you. Pre-season or not, 1100 people cant be wrong. Think of the potential for pictures. How about some 'How about that Phil Lesh' - type autographs (although, if I were any of youse I wouldnt get me one. I am a total jerk!).