Jambands.ca

My Morning Jacket in Toronto 10-19-05

deranger

I haven't listened to it for about 2 weeks now, so maybe my judgement is a bit off. I'll have to take my iPod to work tomorrow and spin it a few more times (although, to be honest, with some many other great albums out right now it's tough to give it the time it probably deserves)...

I have The Tennessee Fire on LP (with bonus 7"), At Dawn 2 CD version with demo disc, split CD w/ Songs: Ohia, Christmas CDEP, Sweetbees CDEP, Chocolate and Ice CDEP, It Still Moves CD and LP, Acoustic Citsuoca CDEP and the two new rarities CDs that Darla put out.

I know the earlier material is more mellow, obviously. It Still Moves, especially the first half, is MMJ at their most rocking, IMHO. Z is more varied, not as rock but it does have rocking moments. I am listening to it again right now. Production wise, it has a much different use of Reverb, which changes songs like Into The Woods (love the saw being played in this song though!).

This might be a pre-master promo - i.e. not mastered - but it is louder than the advance CD I got for It Still Moves.

I know enough about music and what things sound like before and after mastering that it wouldn't effect my judgement of the music itself.