Jambands.ca

The Office

Hal Johnson

Anyone seen the original English version of this fine show? Pure genious! Anyone ever seen the American version? Its exactly the same! Its uncanny! I dont know what I was expecting, but I wasnt really expecting that. Twas funny though, I must admit, but mostly becasue, it was EXACTLY THE SAME. Picture Faulty Towers being done, word for word, by a bunch of American actors with different (I think),character names. I just dont see the need for it. It was like "faking the video," only with professionals faking the freakin video. Anyone else not find this strange, not to mention a wee bit creepy? Bah! Im so confused...

The American version is tough to watch. It tries too hard. I'm a big fan of Steve Carell, yet the US version is awful, specifically if you've previously watched the original show. The US version's of " Tim " and " Gareth " can't compare and their scenes together are softened for North American ( US ) audiences. So are the plot lines. Last night's episode in particular was strewn with forced dialogue with predictable outcomes.

The American version is not the same as the BBC version at all. It's sanitized.

By the way Pheasant, a few American versions of Faulty Towers have been attempted in the past, specifically a failed series starring John Larroquette.

Personally, I enjoy watching productions from other countries. It gives the viewer a look at another culture in many aspects. America certainly isn't the only country to take a production and adapt it for their own culture, but in the end, so much is lost when trying to rewrite the plot.

One show that I think is amazing from writing to acting is Six Feet Under. It didn't grab me at first but when a friend brought over Season One and I watched it in sequence, that was it. I was hooked. Brilliant show.

There's been plenty of Brit shows done successfully by American networks: All In The Family, Three's Company, Dear John, Too Close For Comfort, Max Headroom, Queer As Folk, Whose Line Is It Anyway?

However, the list of failed remade Brit shows is huge.

Edited by Guest

There's been plenty of Brit shows done successfully by American networks: All In The Family, Three's Company, Dear John, Too Close For Comfort, Max Headroom, Queer As Folk, Whose Line Is It Anyway?

However, the list of failed remade Brit shows is huge.

To each their own I guess. Gotta disagree with you on this one Jaimoe, especially on "Whose Line Is It Anyways"...IMHO, Drew Carey didn't even come close to the original show. The original Brit show was so much better. Then again, this all goes back to personal taste.