Jambands.ca

i miss the CBC...

timouse

i hope that the CBC comes to its' senses soon and unlocks the doors. the management folks are obviously trying hard, but the quality of their shows has gone way down. particularly the morning show...it occurred to me this morning what the morning show reminds me of...the brutal "in flight radio" that Air Canada used to offer :)

on the other hand, it's sure nice to hear some unusual music on the cbc...but come on guys, get it together already!

The employees should be in for the long haul. The CBC is already losing tons of money due to the CFL television schedule. The CBC brass will break when the hockey season starts. HNIC's revenue is the CBC's largest and one of their only cash-cows.

Edited by Guest

Don't hold your breath... my roommate works for them and says that the employees are bracing for the long haul. They're mandated to put in 20 hours a week on the picket line and many of them are taking on part time work on the side.

Wonder how many are out there today in this rain?

that's nuts. marge, maybe you can shed light on the "labour disruption." as i understand, the issue is about hiring on contract vs. hiring full time...the CBC has been hiring just about everyone new on contract rather than as an employee, and this is not going over well.

understandably so, as if you are hired on contract they have no obligation to keep you once your term is up...this is sort of a disconcerting hiring practice that has been picked up by a lot of big companies, and even municipalities. i have had it explained to me by a friend who works in HR for halton works, they use the contarct system to aviod getting saddled with dud employees. hire everyone on contract, and if you prove youself as a decent employee then after your 1 year contract you're in.

sounds like the CBC has the first part down, but is not handing out full time jobs.

i'd be pissed too...

Actually, the CBC is legendary in the broadcasting business for being saddled with dud employees. No wonder they now hire contract workers.

as a contract employee in the broadcasting world, what does that mean? i do contract mechanical design work, and charge an hourly rate. i deal with my own taxes and cpp/ei contributions on that money...is it the same game in the braodcast world? and does that mean that they are cut out of group medical/dental benefits?

I'm not a contract employee. I do know that the CBC has directors, audio directors, lighting directors etc... that don't work, but pick-up a check nonetheless.

I think some contract people in broadcasting get benefits. Alliance/Atlantis ( Showcase, Life Network, HGTV, History Channel etc... ) are non-union and they get benefits, yet they don't have a pension fund.

as i understand, the issue is about hiring on contract vs. hiring full time...the CBC has been hiring just about everyone new on contract rather than as an employee, and this is not going over well.... i'd be pissed too...

You're right that this is the main issue and I agree that this is not generally the ideal working condition, but the thing with radio and television broadcasting (esp. at the already cash-strapped CBC) is that the nature of the whole industry is contract. If a new pilot is picked up and only lasts for one season... what is management supposed to do with a bunch of full-timers? Their skills are not necessarily transferable to the next project that comes up. The ones who more justified in these demands are the administrative staff... those who run the offices of the CBC and who manage the contract employees and such.

I can imagine the programming would get pretty stale, pretty quick if the industry consisted only of a bunch of "lifers"

as i understand' date=' the issue is about hiring on contract vs. hiring full time...the CBC has been hiring just about everyone new on contract rather than as an employee, and this is not going over well.... i'd be pissed too...[/quote']

You're right that this is the main issue and I agree that this is not generally the ideal working condition, but the thing with radio and television broadcasting (esp. at the already cash-strapped CBC) is that the nature of the whole industry is contract. If a new pilot is picked up and only lasts for one season... what is management supposed to do with a bunch of full-timers? Their skills are not necessarily transferable to the next project that comes up. The ones who more justified in these demands are the administrative staff... those who run the offices of the CBC and who manage the contract employees and such.

I can imagine the programming would get pretty stale, pretty quick if the industry consisted only of a bunch of "lifers"

indeed. so rather than just hiring contract talent and techies, they're now contracting everyone? that seems a but underhanded...