Jambands.ca

B.B. King Turned 80 Today!

Jaimoe

Happy 80th B.B. King,

May you have many more in health and happiness.

Tim

PS I wonder if U2 will play "When Love Comes to Town" tonight in tribute to B.B. King's 80th birthday?

On May 24, 2001 U2 played the ACC on Dylan's 60th birthday and they teased "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" and played "Forever Young" after wishing Bob a happy birthday.

Happy bday BB.

Can someone please give Meg White some drum lessons? I mean, I guess if you play garage music you'er supposed to suck. But how that girl got the gig, besides bangin' Jack, is beyond me.

Sure Meg's no Terry Bozzio, but her ability is not a-typical of any blues-based drummer: a basic rudimentary time-keeper. Quick: Name me five famous blues drummers deranger. I can't do it either.

The best thing about Meg is that she is the inspiration of many of Jack's songs.

Fair enough (blues drummers list) but really any good "blues" drummer would just move up to jazz and be done with it.

As for Meg, I don't think she could swing if her life depended on it. Meg's ability starts and stops at Boom-chick, boom-chick. I mean, there are beginners out there who could out play her in a second. Being a good muse for Jack is fine, but c'mon, even a real blues drummer could swing. You know that central component of blues music? Maybe the odd drum fill.

But I'm severaly biased. It ain't worth a thing, if it ain't got that swing.

Jaimoe, I've got to agree with deranger here. Don't get me wrong, I love the White Stripes, I think the new album is awesome(the single is my least favourite track), but its ALL about Jack. My thoughts are that its time for him to ditch the novelty act, get a hot bass player and drummer and rock the shit. I love the album Destijl, but the opening drum track(on "you're pretty good looking for a girl") is just slightly off.....its just not quite right. It kills me every time I hear it. The Stripes are cool, but there's another level to be reached for Jack.

Sorry to hijack your thread Mr. King, happy birthday and many more....

OK, forgive my harsh post, thinking about it now, I guess I meant to say "unconventional lineup" rather than "novelty act" (it was Friday night and I was drunk). I am basing my opinion of Meg White's drumming on some select studio tracks and a couple of live tracks that I heard that she made quite painful (my opinion). It is possible to play "what the music needs" (i.e. simple tracks) in time and with the notes placed correctly (e.g.-John Bonham). I do have a personal affection for the bass as well. But I am way too much of a rhythym section geek!!!

From Jaimoe's accounts, the live show was balls to wall awesome, wish I could have been there, I'd probably have a different opinion of Meg.

Edited by Guest

Hey Punk, after Friday's show I'm convinced that Meg is a bassist - the type of bass being the bass drum. Jack feeds off the sound of her bass drum on almost every song.

Just a side note: Do you think Meg would get " noticed " if she were a male drummer? I don't think she'd would.

Very good point, that's sort of what I meant by "novelty act"...although that's too harsh. They have an awesome thing going and it sells, but part of me is very curious about what Jack would sound like in another setting....

Hey Jaimoe, imagine Jack White and John Bonham?? Or Keith Moon in his prime?? I think I could do without the bass in either of those bands!!

Edited by Guest

" Hey Jaimoe, imagine Jack White and John Bonham?? Or Keith Moon in his prime?? "

I was thinking about that too Punk. Townshend has stated many times that the only band Moon could play in was The Who ( although Keith kicked ass on Jeff Beck's Truth album - listen to Beck's Bolero again for proof ).

I think Jack couldn't write songs the way he does now with an " accomplished " drummer, one that is technically innovative.

When Jack decides to pack in The White Stripes, which I believe will be sooner rather than later, Meg will probably disappear from recording, or start up a band where she will be the singer. She has a nice voice.