Jambands.ca

Havlat kicks a player

Jakis

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=139976&hubname=

TSN.ca Staff

10/16/2005 11:17:40 AM

The long arm of NHL law is coming to Martin Havlat and the Ottawa Senators.

Sources say the NHL is reviewing a kicking incident last night in the Ottawa-Boston game at the Corel Centre. Havlat, after being knocked into the back of the net, kicked Boston defenceman Hal Gill. A suspension is expected.

Havlat was not penalized on the play, but the kick was duly noted by the NHL's hockey operations department. While no disciplinary hearing has been schedule, it is expected one will occur before the Senators play their next game on Friday at Tampa Bay.

Working against Havlat is that he previously received a two-game suspension from the NHL for kicking defenceman Eric Cairns when the big blueliner was a member of the New York Islanders. Being a repeat offender is likely to net Havlat a longer sentence this time around.

Related Info

* Hasek gets 300th win, Sens stay perfect

There is no word yet on whether the disciplinary hearing will be held via telephone or in person.

In-person hearings generally carry a stiffer suspension than telephone hearings, although the standards for those have been changed with the new CBA.

In the past, a telephone hearing was for cases where the expected punishment was four or less games whereas in-person hearings generally meant a five-or-more game suspension. Now, if it desires, the NHL can impose up to a five or six -game suspension on a telephone hearing.

I couldn't believe it when they let that go.I seriously hope they do suspend him,but regardless, Gill will get his turn with this coward.

"He pushed me on the net, he had his hands in my face ... I was trying to get up. It was a reaction. I was falling down and he kept going at me. I didn't want to hurt anybody. Hopefully, I didn't."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/

I wasn't talking about a cheap fight but a solid shoulder for which Gill has more then the ability to accomplish.

With Gill being a defenceman & Havlat a winger,he's gotta go into the corner eventually doesn't he?

He's got to catch him first. Havlat is a speedy little weasel.

I just saw the replay of this. Brutal. There's no way it was "trying to get up. It was a reaction", it looked intentional to me. I have no doubt that Havlat will get a game or two for this.

Well, he admitted it was intentional... He didn't make any excuses. If there's anything positive about it it's that he didn't try to weasel out of it like some players would.

And I think your prediction of 'a game or two' is a bit light, the major papers are saying 3-5 games due to his cheapshots in the past (crotch kick to Aucoin( ?) and high stick to Recchi)

ad