Jambands.ca

Janine Stoll CD Release Party in collaboration with Mr. Something Something

Neener

[color:brown]This Saturday night at NOW Lounge in Toronto Janine Stoll, in collaboration with Toronto's afro-funk orchestra Mr. Something Something, celebrates the release of her new CD -- This is where we bury it.

The album has been available for public consumption since July, but a throw down was in order to make it all feel official. John MacLean and his cohorts in Mr. Something Something arranged many of the songs on the record infusing Janine's folk/jazz/country/pop tunes with West African rhythms, tasty horn lines and sexed-up guitar riffs. The intention for the live show is to recreate many tracks from the record live on stage with some special added bonuses for the night. Some other guests will be appearing on stage making the ensemble a ten-piece onslaught of organized chaos. This is a rare and not to be missed event that will undoubtedly be packed with magical improvisational moments.

This is where we bury it has already been receiving praise since it slowly seeped into the ears of music lovers nationwide. Generous airplay on college radio charted the record in the top ten for World Music internationally. The release party falls right in the middle of a slow(er) gigging schedule for Mr. Something Something. At the beginning of October they returned from a tour of Canada's East Coast followed by the official release of their newest work of sheer brilliance -- The Edge. Janine's release takes place amongst the chaos of frantic rehearsal schedules, 3+ shows a week and the Mr Something Something machine gearing up to take their afro-tastic dance party back across Canada to the West Coast to return just four days before Christmas. This incestuous group of music makers seem to deny the need for sleep in an attempt to keep the party humming.

Also on stage in Janine's huge band this Saturday will be Brian MacMillan on guitars and the backup vocal sweetness of Angie Nussey and Lisa Winn (of Ladybird Sideshow fame). Brian and Angie will each be doing short acoustic opening sets to floor the crowd with their songwriting mastery.

Come do what all of the cool kids are doing!

Here are the details:

[color:brown]Saturday, November 5th

NOW Lounge, 189 Church Street, Toronto, ON

Guest backup band: Mr. Something Something, Lisa Winn, and others.

Opening sets by Brian MacMillan and Angie Nussey

Doors open at 8:30pm. $12 admission.

$20 includes a copy of "This is where we bury it"

(come early as space is very limited)

416-364-1301

www.janinestoll.com

www.nowtoronto.com/lounge

www.mrsomethingsomething.com

www.angienussey.com

www.brianmacmillan.com

www.ladybirdsideshow.com

Edited by Guest

wow... I'd go if I was in town.

Sunday, November 13th

Pepper Jack Cafe, 38 King William Street, Hamilton, ON

With Melissa McClelland, Lisa Winn

www.ladybirdsideshow.com

8:00pm, $6.

905-525-6666

also shainhouse - did you go to jam in the dam while over seas? Looking at it now it looks like a good time....??? thoughts feedback?

Mr. Something Something and I just might be bringing this show to some other towns if we can get some cool things lined up. For those interested... NOW Magazine reviewed my CD today and they actually really liked it (who'd uh thought?):

Rating: NNNN

With her quiet, silky voice and Joni Mitchellesque fingerpicking, Stoll will likely suffer a few Sarah Harmer comparisons. While it's true that both rely on hushed, poignant vocal delivery, Stoll proves the gutsier lyricist, going for the bad-relationship jugular with naked detail. She tries to face down the spectre of romance gone wrong without flinching – from coital slide-backs (Lay Your Hands On Me) to the dark moments between when a lover stops trying (Leaving Autumn) and is gone for good (Disappearing Act). While a long list of musicians are credited on the album, Stoll seems to prefer using intimate cabaret-sized arrangements on each track, which heightens her vocal presence and makes This Is Where an even more commanding listen. Janine Stoll plays the NOW Lounge Saturday (November 5).

Jason Keller

ummm Janine...(or anyone else in the know) if you're reading all this hoopla WooHoo. Do you have any idea what time you'll grace the stage. While I'm working on mastering the art of being in two places at once it hasn't come together for me just yet but perhaps I can delay my travels a bit and catch some of your show on my way out of town.