Jambands.ca

Pitchfork: "Top 100 Albums of the 1970's"

MarcO

Low by David Bowie at number 1 is an incredible surprise. I'm a big Bowie fan and don't even think much of that album. Guess I need to give it another chance. And how is Aladdin Sane better than Ziggy Stardust? And every Floyd album from the '70s EXCEPT Animals? I really shouldn't look at these types of lists.

my view on these lists is that no list is ever complete or perfect, it's just some other person's' subjective opinion

if it's anywhere near your version of the list then that's the most you could ever expect or hope for- and hopefully you find something on there that you're not at all familiar with that you can subsequently 'discover' for yourself, and enjoy

anyway...

It's impossible to know every good band and album for an entire decade. I like this list because it points to bands that I have not checked out yet like The Buzzcocks and Gang Of Four ( although I've listened to Gang's seminal album once and liked it a lot ). I never heard any tunes by The Stooges, Nick Drake and Television until five or six years ago.

Edited by Guest

Low by David Bowie at number 1 is an incredible surprise. I'm a big Bowie fan and don't even think much of that album. Guess I need to give it another chance. And how is Aladdin Sane better than Ziggy Stardust? And every Floyd album from the '70s EXCEPT Animals? I really shouldn't look at these types of lists.

For me, Bowie doesn't get much better than "Low". I can totally understand putting that at the top of his heap, it is a monumental achievement.