Jambands.ca

U.S. envoy dismisses Harper's Arctic plan

SevenSeasJim

strongly planned to send Canadian troops to Iraq (yes its old news, but it was also a catastrophic error in judgement and vision in my opinion)... on board for joining the American "missile defence" program... good enough for me to remain distrustful

more worrisome to me than Harper's knee jerk reaction over the situation was how quickly the states moved in to seize that territory soon as power switched hands... makes me concerned that the states view Harper more as a lap dog than liberal canadians do

strongly planned to send Canadian troops to Iraq (yes its old news, but it was also a catastrophic error in judgement and vision in my opinion)... on board for joining the American "missile defence" program... good enough for me to remain distrustful

more worrisome to me than Harper's knee jerk reaction over the situation was how quickly the states moved in to seize that territory soon as power switched hands... makes me concerned that the states view Harper more as a lap dog than liberal canadians do

Actually, that's always been the American's view of the Arctic passage. And Mr Wilkins' comment came from a direct questions that was asked of him at UWO about what the American position was on Harper's strategy to put armed icebreakers in the Arctic passage.

The funny thing is that Harper came out with that comment in his press conference without anyone bringing it up. No one said, "Mr Harper, what do you think about Mr Wilkins' comment?" He brought up the subject all on his own.

Out of the four or five leading candidates in the last election, it was clear the best person for the job was Stephen Harper. He's a man of priciple, and a man that will get Canada respect around the globe. He's also a man of action, a solution person...

I hear ya, W, and I'm sure if anyone of reasonable temperament were to sit down for a beer with the guy, they'd have a great time and probably come off the better for the experience.

I have to hedge that respect, though, by remembering the rather more sobering metaphor (timouse, where was this from?) of the leader being like the little chrome dog on the front of the Mack truck. The real power's under the hood. I don't like what I see when I lift that hood.

yeah, thought I had that kinda wrong Hamilton... oh well

regardless how pretty the picture painted on the outside of the building I'll still worry about whats going on inside as I have difficulty trusting the right... hoping for the best, just not expecting it

Please DO worry! Every citizen has a duty to be mindful of the government in power. My fear is that if any positive gains are made, there will be those who'll never acknowledge it becasue they are so devout in their beliefs that the party is evil, and the smear their reputation gets.