Jambands.ca

U.S. envoy dismisses Harper's Arctic plan

SevenSeasJim

Lets see how Harper does on this issue

Last Updated Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:09:54 EST

CBC News

The United States opposes a plan by prime minister-designate Stephen Harper to deploy military icebreakers in the Arctic in order to assert Canadian sovereignty, says the U.S. ambassador to Canada.

"There's no reason to create a problem that doesn't exist," David Wilkins said Wednesday as he took part in a forum at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ont.

U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins. (CP file photo)

"We don't recognize Canada's claims to those waters... Most other countries do not recognize their claim."

During the election campaign, which culminated with Harper's win this week, the Conservatives promised to spend $5.3 billion over five years to defend northern waters against the Americans, Russians and Danes.

"Sovereignty is something, you use it or you lose it," Harper said at the pre-Christmas announcement in Winnipeg.

His plan included the construction and deployment of three new armed heavy icebreaking ships, as well as the eventual construction of a $2-billion deepwater port in Iqaluit and an underwater network of "listening posts."

Harper wouldn't say whether he would order military action if the ships or port detected an unauthorized submarine in Arctic waters.

In an interview, Wilkins said he doesn't think that kind of military buildup is necessary in the Far North.

"We are simply having a disagreement on this," he said. "We have agreed to disagree, and there's no reason ... to say, 'There's a problem that's occurring and we gotta do something about it.'"

Wilkins also said he expects less anti-American sentiment from Harper's new minority government, and added that he called Harper to offer congratulations on his election victory.

You don't need to guess who I'd be putting my money on. I'm predicting Harper's first 'lube-up-bend-over-and-take-it-nicely' reaction with the U.S. Get used to it.

These are such sad times for this great country.

(We need Tobin to fire a couple rounds across the decks of vessels challenging our sovereignty. That was him wasn't it?)

This probably applies to this topic as well...

from the T Start

"On the other, [stephen Harper] wants to focus and strengthen Ottawa's role in areas such as defence so that Canada can more effectively join the United States in what Harper has called the great moral battle against tyranny and terror."

oh....THAT's why he wants a stronger military! I thought it was only for defense! Phew!

You don't need to guess who I'd be putting my money on. I'm predicting Harper's first 'lube-up-bend-over-and-take-it-nicely' reaction with the U.S. Get used to it.

These are such sad times for this great country.

(We need Tobin to fire a couple rounds across the decks of vessels challenging our sovereignty. That was him wasn't it?)

Yep, that was Brian Tobin indeed.

Interestingly, the globe and mail has him on the short list of potentail liberal leadership candidates :)

man...Harper is killing me. He promises to improve relations with the US by wanting to join in the US's battles and AT THE SAME TIME he's being a dick to them.

The article Arctic belongs to us quotes harper:

I've been very clear in the campaign that we have significant plans for national defence and for defence of our sovereignty, including Arctic sovereignty. We believe we have a mandate for those from the Canadian people and we hope to have it as well from the House of Commons. But it is the Canadian people we get our mandate from -- not the ambassador of the United States

I wonder if his new responsibilities are a little tough on him.

Anyone see the footage of Harper dropping his kids off at school the other day?? a hug? peck on the cheek?

NO - He shook their hands.

capt.n01259a.jpg

What a lovely man, the warmth just exudes from him.

yes, I noticed that. He's like a living hug.

they must be so proud of Daddy. Or "Sir", wahtever they call him.

Anyone see the footage of Harper dropping his kids off at school the other day?? a hug? peck on the cheek?

capt.n01259a.jpg

hahaha! that guy is so my dad. he'd kiss me on my forehead but always, always shake the boys hands. in some weird way, it was actually more endearing than if he was to give him a hug.. kinda like a rite of passage thing. 'you have my respect'..

I loved the footage of Harper and his kids. It's like he realized there was a camera pointing at him but he didn't know what to do so he awkwardly grabs his kids hand and then the other kid has to come back to shake his hand. Meanwhile he's blocking some girl from getting past the entrace. It was quite endearing actually.

This probably applies to this topic as well...

from the T Start

"On the other, [stephen Harper] wants to focus and strengthen Ottawa's role in areas such as defence so that Canada can more effectively join the United States in what Harper has called the great moral battle against tyranny and terror."

oh....THAT's why he wants a stronger military! I thought it was only for defense! Phew!

So when he just stood up to the United States, on priniple with the Artic issue, how does this fall in line with anyones theory about Harper being a political Lap Dog for the US. May I remind EVERYBODY that Canada has been actively participateing in Afganistan for years now, A Liberal Government decision, and one that I think was a tough but nescary one, which has produced a balance of goodness in Afganistan, and hopefully here through security and absence of AlQuadea based attacks. Harper is just suggesting that we strengthen our military so that those who are already out there have the best protection, as well as those at home (Terroists want to bring the battle to our own back yard, perhaps we should be prepared just incase?, do our troops not deserve the absolute best so that they don't have to come home in body bags?, or should we just pull everyone out from all their posts in the world? Sarijavo, Hatti?)) Even Gandhi was a strong supporter in having a strong military... military is not inhearently evil... but I can understand how people on this board feel about what "crazy Mr. Harper" would do with a strong military in his hands.

And now apparantly the US has some issues with us defending our undefended border in the North, to which Harper has clearly said "no Dice. Those Beamers and Toyota's are going to sail through Canada now, and not the Panama canal bitches!". It took one day for Harper to stand up and show he had international 'Balls', and how long would this of gone on with a Liberal Government clearly with the heads up their asses. My biggest problem with the Liberals is how half-assed they dealt with the Soft wood Lumber issue. They want the money from the "free-trade" but they can't defend it becasue they got elected in the first place by promising to get rid of it. It took years, and even when the courts ordered the US to pay back that $5 billion, they didn't... casue they're not afraid of a lame duck, nor do they really pay attention to them... which Canada became after the last 12 years or so of no-action government.

And this 'soverenty in the North' move is Genius. It took a Prime Minister not from Quebec to finally start speaking the same language as the Block Quebecois. Now this is Ironic. Once the bloc has finally rejoined the Conservative movement, and we gain a few seats in a couple of cities, the majority will arrive. My only fear is that those that have been closed minded and fearful of a conservative government will remain this way (and you call yourselfs hippies? You gotta freak the squares... which one are you?), and will never see the benefits that will start to arrise in the near future... but times will improve (outside of the HNI5 virus)... and Mr. Harper will be a big part of that. Maybe you'll be seeing What the Thunder said in Buffalo, or the Fat Cats in Clevland sometime soon... maybe these 'small companies' we'll get some sort of break for all the hard work and commitment they put towards their craft and the goodness they give our communities. Seems like Toronto, the Liberal/NDP stronghold has the Inverse effect for bands... everything here cost twice as much, but bands get paid half as much... doesn't sound fair and pricipled to me... that's why I voted for a party that said they would work only to be fair and pricipled. I mean he brocght the West and the East together with the PC's and Reform... He'll bring the Conservatives and Block together... he may even bring city and hinterland together, Canada and US together, who knows when this evil (everybody get together, have a good time) thing is going to stop... you Hippies better head to the hills, start complaining about the weather.

It's clear from my expeience in this community that I am a small minority. I'm cool with that. The one thing that I will say, is that the vast majority of comments that I have seen made towards Mr. Harper on this board are born either out of hate or fear, or a strong combination of both. My opinion of Mr. Harper comes from having a strong connection to the East, West, Quebec, city and country. Out of the four or five leading candidates in the last election, it was clear the best person for the job was Stephen Harper. He's a man of priciple, and a man that will get Canada respect around the globe. He's also a man of action, a solution person... and while a disenfranchised teen, grew up listening to the Beatles. How bad can he be?

Oh yeah, Charles Manson listened to the Beatles too. I can't make this up.

capt.n01259a.jpg

Takes one to know one I suppose. Dropping off his Kids as school... [color:purple]evil... using public facilities to treat his asthma and not private = [color:purple]I'm sure he's up to evil. Or maybe we have a Prime Minister who has an intimate understanding of what the wait time gap is actually doing to our country, and will step up to the plate and do something about it.

Well put Smoothedshredder.

While my ideals don't and hopefully never will line up with the conservative right winged mindframe, I do understand completely where you are coming from. I feel anything over 10 years ruled by the same idealogy is too long. Good ideas and bad ideas come out of every party and i think its time to take some of the good from the conservatives.