Jambands.ca

Neil Young Film : Heart of Gold

Dr. J

Guest Low Roller

Wow. Looks incredible. I dig the new album so this should be really good. Sadly Neil is really starting to show his age. I think the aneurysm took a large toll on him.

I just read about it today in the National Post....here's the article:

'We're here for the songs and music'

Katherine Monk

CanWest News Service

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Jonathan Demme and Neil Young are at the Sundance Film Festival for the world premiere of Demme's Heart of Gold, an elegant performance movie that captures an August night at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium, where Young performed the songs from his album Prairie Wind for the first time in front of an audience. The following is an edited transcript of their conversation with Katherine Monk.

Monk: You've made your own concert movies before. How did Jonathan's approach differ from your own on what makes a good concert film?

Young: Well, Jonathan has a lot more chops than I do, but I think I'm just as outrageously stupid in thinking I can do what I want to. (Demme and Young look at each other and start laughing.) What I mean is both of us are willing to fail. We don't want to. We'd prefer not to. But we don't go forward and then stop and wonder if we're doing something wrong or think we won't be able to make it. We keep going.

Monk: The whole film unfolds with this natural flow, as if nothing could go wrong. No one breaks a drum stick or snaps a guitar string.

Young: Oh, I'm sure things went wrong. They must have.

Demme: The whole thing we wanted to create, right from the beginning, was the idea of this being a dream concert. More specifically, this was Neil Young's dream concert. The dream venue, the dream musicians, there will be no mistakes, and that's the way they put it down.

Young: We just tried to create this story of a concert. We made up a concert for people to watch in a theatre as though they were at a concert -- except they get to float around like a little shutter bug -- literally a shutter bug -- where you can float around and get in front of your face, right in front of your eyes, and go places you can't go in a concert. We didn't want to distract anybody with other stuff. ... Who cares? That's not what we're here for. We're here for the songs and the music, not for the event, or celebrating our hero worship with a crowd of people with their hands in the air.

Demme: I see it as a movie, not a documentary, because we created it for the camera. The Ryman was our location, Neil and the other musicians were the actors. They were put into their wardrobes that were designed for a specific look and the script became the songs themselves.

Young: And we had the right people to play the songs, so we knew they could do this correctly.

Monk: It all fits together seamlessly, as though it were somehow meant to be. It's complete, and I wonder if that's something you have to work hard to create, or is it a matter of just letting go?

Young: This whole concert and everything about it is similar to hunting a wild animal, OK? If you consider the muse to be a very, very skittish, very wary and very nervous life force, it's like a lot of animals, if you're going to get it ... then you can't scare it. What we tried to create was a place where it would come out and live, and where everybody would be able to go with the muse to make the music that makes the film.

Monk: That obviously went for the crew, too. They must have been rehearsed.

Young: Right. Everyone from the lighting director to the camera operators had to be part of it. We were creating an atmosphere that was just so right, we could just do what we do. And that's what we caught. And you see that, and that's why it's rare, because we went to such great lengths not to scare it away. ... It was really a search for the essence, and I think we captured it.

-

Heart of Gold will be released in Toronto on Feb. 10 with other Canadian cities to follow.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/artslife/story.html?id=beed2233-0420-4848-af84-bc66c8a03107