Jambands.ca

Neil & Scott & Me

DevO

[preface: i did not meet him]

The Peterborough/Neil Young connection goes way back to when Neil was a child living in the nearby farm town of Omemee, and Peterborough was the nearest "big" town. Scott Young, Neil's father, is a well-known Canadian author, written over 25 books I believe. He owns a house in Peterborough as well as a beautiful farm house out in Omemee. Any music fan who has lived in Peterborough long enough to get to know the locals has heard the stories of Neil showing up at The Arms, The Red Dog, Ed's Music, etc.

Seems like I've had quite a few 2nd generation Neil Young connections as of late. Since May I've been working for a small pool shop in town owned by a great old man named Ivan. Ivan's been all around this world. He's also close friends with Scott Young, and in fact Scott is the editor for Ivan's forthcoming autobiography. So, from the start I knew I was going to be making it out to Scott's place to open his pool, and that I did with my friend Downey. I won't get into that tale too much cause I've already written about it ( click here and scroll to the bottom).

The date that we were out at Neil's Dad's place opening the pool and dreaming was the same day that Neil played the solo acoustic show in Dublin that is currently featured on his website. (I mentioned that I left a copy of Kev's Cuts Vol. #14 for Neil - scroll to the bottom of this post for the track listings)

Meanwhile, I'm currently reading stories of Neil in Yorkville, Peterborough, Omemee, Pickering and Lake of Bays in the book "Neil & Me" by Scott Young and constantly hearing stories from my boss, Ivan, about the two of 'em.

Then last night's show in Toronto, which was really sweet. Yesterday at work I joked with Ivan that I might have left a screwdriver or something out at Scott's, in hopes of popping in while Neil would maybe be there, hehe.

Today was a shitty day for work.. 30-somethin degrees and diggin' sand for a pool most the time. Downey and I get home from work and there's a message on the machine from his girlfriend who works at a restaurant in town called The Red Moose. She says she's meeting Neil in 5 minutes! We hop on our bikes and went there quick. Neil's bus was parked there and the place was dead except for Lindsay (Downey's girlfriend) sitting on the patio with two roadie-type guys. Apparently she hung out with 'em all afternoon. Neil was down the road at The Arm's having dinner with his pops.

A while later his whole family and entourage walks by us and is hanging out in front of the bus! Both sons, wife, etc. We chat with the two roadies, we chat with the guy who played the Devil in last night's show. They're actually more than roadies; they've known him for decades and the one guy, John, makes model trains with Neil for a hobbie and they sell 'em.

Then the man himself came walking by us (well about 25 feet ahead or so) and chats with his family for 5 minutes or so, hugs, etc, and then they all pile on the bus and soon after they take off. Never got to talk to him, but damn am I stoked anyways!!

I wonder if he's checking out Kev's Cuts right now. [Wink] A few info nuggets we picked up from the two dudes we spoke with:

- Neil's September show will not an all-Greendale show.

- Neil's got his whole family traveling with him this tour, how nice

- the other day Neil popped in a Phish DVD on the tour bus and they watched it!! (not sure if it was Vegas or Bittersweet Motel).

- Neil was catching a flight on his private jet outta the Peterborough Airport this evening, down to Washington.

That's about it. Long-winded, I know, but I wanted to get it out!

KC#14 (which a few of you have i believe)

Every Man For Himself - DJ Shadow & Keb Darge

Uninvisible - MMW

Nervous Tension - Lemon Jelly

The Hook - Stephen Malkmus

Opus De Funk - Redneck Jazz Explosion (Danny Gatton)

Sao Paulo - Supergenerous (Breit & Baptista)

Carini - Phish 12/31/02

Isis - Bob Dylan

She Got The Devil In Her - Buddy Guy

40 Days, 39 Nights - Kevin Breit

Little Sadie - Garcia & Grisman (pizza tapes)

Brunette - Keller Williams

Vaseline Machine Gun - Leo Kottke

Afraid To Dance - Don Ross

Shame Shame Shame - Harry Manx

Soulshine - Gov't Mule

***dream***

Still stoked from watching Live In Vegas on the bus the other day, Neil pops in Kev's Cuts Vol. #14 and hits track #7 - Phish's "Carini". So impressed by the song, he calls up Trey this evening and they begin to make solid plans for a Neil Young tour starring Phish as his backing band. [Cool]

quote:

Originally posted by KevO:

***dream***

Still stoked from watching Live In Vegas on the bus the other day, Neil pops in Kev's Cuts Vol. #14 and hits track #7 - Phish's "Carini". So impressed by the song, he calls up Trey this evening and they begin to make solid plans for a Neil Young tour starring Phish as his backing band.
[Cool]

I'm still disappointed that the rumours about Neil asking Phish to be his backing band for a European tour didn't become fact. That would have been wild. [Cool]

Another thing I just remembered, I learned a little tidbit about the new Greendale album.

It'll be a CD/DVD, so you can pop it into your DVD player, computer or cd player, and there is a full length Greendale movie on it!!

Archived