Jambands.ca

Meta topic -- Content?

ollie

What exactly defines this forum as far as content goes? I was thinking of posting a new topic about the Western Standard running the Muhammad political cartoons. Then I thought there might be people interested in the topic who would never think to read the new forum so I was going to add it to the Angry People thread in the Cavern. I decided to do neither.

Similarly, does the "Cheney shoots some guy" topic belong in Politics?

The more we split it up the less people will actually look for, IMO. Why remove the intelligent debate simply based on topic. I actually think this forum is a bad idea. Yeah some people want to avoid the political thing... tough, you live in a democracy... It's your job to know and care.

I'm starting to actually like having two forums to poke around in. Gives me the sense I'm wasting time in a more complex way ;).

Modernity, after all, is about differentiation, among other things. Maybe that's one reason why people don't like modernity, mind you.

Apparently, "divide" and "devil" come from the same etymological roots; the Sanskrit "dva", two, shares as much with all the other Indo-European words for "two" (duo, deux, zwei, etc.). So maybe that's why I like it, being so evil and all :).

I have no idea where I'm going with all that.

I agree with Thorgnor. Sorry but I don't understand this particular compartmentalization of the board. It's not like the Cavern board was being dragged down with endless politco talk. I mean we just went through a federal election, of course there was a fair amount of political talk going on.

I'll never understand how anyone could have complained that they didn't want to read political issues on the main board. Personally, I'd say I open about 35% of all the threads, if that.

I suppose I'm just carrying some burden of guilt for my consistently posting about 5% on music and 95% on religion and politics (that's maybe a bit exaggerated, but probably not by much).

And MarcO, CJ's right, that's a very guilt-inducing finger you're pointing there! ;) (and curiously ironic, juxtaposed to what's on your shirt!).

(Don't go changing it, though!)

Take it from someone who frequents the sports forum all the time - you are nerds, and deserve your own forum. Just kidding. But it is worth noting that some topics over there could and should be discussed in the cavern, but arent. In the long run, it works though. If its really important to the rest of the skanks, it'll make it's way out there somehow. Just ask Wayne.

Edited by Guest

Hey, I totally agree that some topics should/could still be discussed in Cavern...

For me I just felt that with all the political debate we had, and it was good clean honest debate, it was diluting/overwhelming music and art related topics... sending them to page 2 and 3 too quickly.

For sure though, there are times where music/art and politic are two sides of the same coin... if ever really separate... still I stand by the decision to make a Politics Forum.

Who knows? Maybe Skancs will become more adventurous and venture out of the Cavern more often. I know Rich Stadium did that for me when it opened up a year or so after I climbed on board.