Jambands.ca

Advice for my first 'Real Job' interview

secondtube

Well, the 7 minutes early thing is very important. 8 minutes makes you seem a little too eager whereas 6 minutes early basically means you're a slacker and won't get the job.

Dressing formal is a must but don't go too over the top. You definitely need a tie, and pants. Pants are important. Shirt, however, is optional. I suggest nice shoes, pants, tie, jacket, and maybe just carry the shirt with you as an option. Nothing to get stressed over.

The attitude you display is going to be that which separates you from the pack, so pay close attention here. Answer all questions with a direct answer; usually "yes" or "no" will do fine but again, you need to show your special abilities, so I suggest using different languages for these curt answers. For instance, "yes" in Swahili is "ndiyo", while "no" in Portugese is "nao". Employers always respond well to such worldly facets of your personality!

Be polite: offer the interviewer some weed. Ask them how they are enjoying the Unphrey McGee podcasts and pontificate on the role of electronic influences on modern jam music. Show them pictures of children and claim them as your own - employers love to hire a family man!

oh and be sure to ask about internet access!

Remember the most important thing is to have confidence and just be yourself! Good luck Steve, let me know how it all turns out.

Classic!!! But seriously, im sure if ya be your normal stand up self you should get the job no prob.

• 2 weeks later...

The interview was this morning.... Just a one-on-one interview with the Commercial Underwriting Manager, over 2 hours long!!! I stayed focused, and answered all her questions....

Both my biggest strength and biggest weakness were asked, Thanks Sharon for that advice.

Someone on here told me (although i can't find it in this post) if i have a problem with a question, to just skip it, and go on to the next one...

Well, one of the questions kind of stumped me, as i was on a roll, so i just politely asked if she could skip the question, and move onto the next.... which she had no problem with...

Like the person said, bonus points at the end of the interview to go back to that question, if the interviewer forgets.... well, she forgot, and i politely asked if we could go back to that skipped question....

She was so taken back by that, she apologized for forgetting to go back to the question, and said most people when they skip a question don’t ask to go back...

I think that definitely got me some bonus points. She said I would get a call in two week with a no, or a yes to a second interview; this one with her and the regional manager.

Thanks everyone for your advice, and good luck PM's...Things are looking up these days.

Edited by Guest

HEYYYYY!!! congrats my friend!!

seems things are looking up in Toolistan as well! passed my entry test with the gov't, got an interview in a few weeks for Revenue canada!

high fives brother!!

we should celebrate tonight, ill give you a call!