Jambands.ca

RJD2 Sat 2/25 @ the Pheonix in TO (apparently w/ Aceyalone)

YearsAlongTheSea

don't regret too much - seen him twice now and boring as fuck both times...trying to lay down the power of his album releases with turntables and an MPC, nothing to watch that's for sure...last time at the phoenix the highlight of the concert was sitting down up on the balcony with a couple friends and having a great conversation as watching him got so boring....he tried to play name that tune and you could win the bottle of water or fruitopia he brought on stage with him.... I'll give him this, the songs are amazing, the albums are amazing, his skills are amazing, -but- his show is boring.

This is an Aceyalone show with RJD2. And the answer to your question is that Aceyalone is THE MAN, but definitely not in mainstream hip hop. I would liken Acey to a cool black west coast Buck 65. Like if Buck kept all the cool and jiggy aspects of his Stinkin' Rich persona from his collaborations with Sixtoo as the Sebutones and solo, and fused it with his new 'raw raw raw I'm Gruff McGraw' trip then you'd have a semi approximation of what Acey's all about (at least using a Canadian reference). You could also say he's a black west coast approximation of Dose One wih much better hooks. 'Let me holler at you face to face/ See Ace been place to place/ I seen a million of 'em'.

Thing is, and I guess I've been dying for someone to ask although I've sang his praises here before, Acey really is something like the Garcia of independent hip hop. Aceyalone was a charter member of the Freestyle Fellowship which was sort of like the Justice League of indy hip hop, corollaries one might point to would include Invisible Skratch Piklz and their east coast equivalent 1200 Hobos (a loose 50 plus association including the likes of Buck, Sixtoo, Mr. Dibbs, Sage Francis, DJ Swamp who's worked with Beck etc.). Although both those associations if you like lean a little more towards turntablism. Nowadays a similar group is Haiku D'Etat which is a trio that includes Aceyalone and Mikah 9 from the Fellowship and also Abstract Rude. So Acey is known in a lot of ways for his involvement with the Fellowship which was about as far afield from West Coast gangsta as you could get, almost a complete inversion of that motif. Moreso he's known for a really impressive stable of his own releases perhaps the best known of which is A Book Of Human Language which to use the Buck analogy again is sort of like Buck's Language Arts series condensed into a single album. All the songs are like chapters in an almost Poe vision of hip hop (The Faces, The Vision, The Thief In The Night, The Jabberwocky, The Grandfather Clock). It is really really good but only something you'd put on start to finish every once in a while, a masterpiece though to be sure. His earlier, I think first album, All Balls Don't Bounce is much looser and youthfully naive, less philopopsicle. My favourite although those two are tops is Eccepted Eclectic and I particularly love the title track, it's my theme song, and another one Master Your High that every head must hear. His recent effort Love and Hate was a bit off his usual mark I'd say but quit good, I think there's a Bounce revisited two and a couple other albums I'm forgetting about and obviously haven't heard.

The thing about this tour is that RJ produced Acey's entire new album Magnificent City which is less common in hip hop- for one producer to produce an entire album. RJ respected and wanted to work with Acey and no doubt this is really giving Acey the boost he needs to blow up - which really is a sin because don't get me wrong I love RJ but he's no Ace One. And I think he knows it in a way. The albums called Magnificent City anyway and from what I gather is all over the board from neo-soul to techy minimalist shit, RJ even does vocals on a track. Considering that RJD2 represents bright eyed blue eyed Philly hip hop and Aceyalone really is the ambassador of the city of Angels this truly promises to be a Magnificent City. It dropped Feb. 7 and mine hasn't come yet so I don't know. It sounds very very promising though and I have been really torn about whether to hit this show or not more for personal and work reasons. This is obviously something akin to my wet dream musically.