Jambands.ca

science vs. sport - who's gonna win?

Birdy

i read an interesting article in SEED magazine last night discussing the steroid debate from a scientific point of view.

mainly the article argued against itself whether professional and amateur athletes alike should be allowed to use performance enhancing drugs to aid their athletic ability.

the main points of contention were that we allow athletes to train in elevated areas with higher oxygen capacity, or to sleep in oxygen enhanced chambers, etc., but draw the line when it comes to infusing themselves with their own stored blood, or taking steroids.

now there is the possibility of gene doping and having the ability to create super human athletes, which could pretty much be undetectable for those who wish to detect it (ie, olympic drug testing committees).

it painted an extremely interesting picture of the future of athletics and what future SUPER atheletes may look like, just because we can't do anything about it.

i couldn't help but picture these crazy hulk hogan types doing double axels in riske sequin outfits.

Edited by Guest

I recall hearing Bruce Sterling* saying that he wanted to see a sort of two-level sports system: one would be what we have now, but there'd also be an "unlimited" class, where anything went: drugs, genetic engineering, cybernetics, etc.

Aloha,

Brad

* One of the main authors/editors in the "cyberpunk" movement in science fiction.

Something occurred to me this morning: where is the dividing line between what's acceptable for the Olympics and the Para Olympics?

This question popped into my head when I saw a story on TV about the upcoming Para Olympics (also in Turin, I think). They showed a downhill skier leaving the gate. The skier in question lacked most of his legs, and had a prosthetic/artificial leg/ski unit, which even had a shock obsorber (IIRC). I wondered if such an athelete would be allowed in the regular Olympics, but he probably wouldn't. (I especially wondered if there were advantages to having a single ski rather than a pair of skis; I think there might be, due to less friction.)

So what's the dividing line? Could you have, say, a diver who had an artificial hand or foot? How about a skater with an artificial forearm? A luge racer with either no or non-functioning legs?

Aloha,

Brad

I don't believe there are any restrictions to participating in the regular Olympics. However most nations have a qualifying standard or a national competition to make the Olympic team. If someone with a disability could compete at that level I see no reason why they couldn't make the team. It would be a great story.

agreed.

with regards to Bruce Sterling's desire for a two-level sports system, i can't help but wonder how we would go about 'governing' such a system. ie, what the criteria would be for a person to be in the 'regular' division or those in the 'umlimited' division. what would that do for the olympics? right now it's only amateur atheletes who compete, would this fall under the 'regular' divison? And how would we know the athletes haven't cheated? There's no way to tell if they're gene-doped up.

Edited by Guest

Just imagine what it would/could do to the various "Idol" shows if there were a substance that improved one's voice, or increased one's on-stage charisma...Congress would be calling for investigations, and demanding whizz quizzes for all involved (including the judges, he said, hopefully)...

Aloha,

Brad