Jambands.ca

Grateful Dawg

Hartamophone

I did a semester of school in London is 2001 when this movie was just coming out. (My passport was stamped at Heathrow on 9.11.01 :o ) Grateful Dawg was playing at the London Film Festival, so I went and checked it out. It wasn't one of the big shows or anything, it was at the smallest theatre the festival was using. Nothing was announced, but they always encourage the stars & directors to come to the showings, right. So before the film started they told us that the film's creator (Grisman's daughter) was in attendance and would answer questions after the film, which was pretty cool. Then after the movie, not only did she approach the front of the theatre but so did David Grisman himself! It was pretty amazing to see him standing there right after witnessing such amazing footage of him onstage with Jerry. He answered questions.. Someone asked him if he'd be performing at all while he was in London, but he said he was just on vacation with his daughter.

Edited by Guest

That's awesome KevO; what an experience that must've been...

Definitely one of my all-time fav DVD's and I watched it again just a few weeks ago...man, the scene where Garcia is sitting gazing out the window in total peace...at that moment it's so apparant how much he enjoyed life outside the Dead...moves me every time I watch that moment...

I love the bit when Vassar Clemens recalls how he looked out of the limo on their drive to or from an Old and in the Way gig, pointed at a billboard advertising a Dead show, and said, completely innocently, "Jerry, you know, that sort of looks like you!" He'd had no idea, apparently, of Jerry's other musical styles besides the bluegrass.

That story gave me chills, KevO, thanks for sharing it.

One of the more poignant moments for me is towards the end. Jerry is struggling to read the music books in Dawg's living room, and has to pull them right up to his face in order to see them (diabetes complications, I'm assuming). He was in rough shape by the end, but kept on going.

On a lighter note, I had completely forgotten about the video for "The Thrill is Gone," which was definitely good for a laugh (but not in a condescending way, rather an entertaining one).