Jambands.ca

Pearl Jam-My Morning Jacket-Toronto-May 9th and 10th

SmoothedShredder

Here's the story and tour dates. I'm not really a fan of Pearl Jam, but this is an excellent double-bill.

Pearl Jam Return With Summer Tour

Seattle rockers to kick off first leg of world tour Pearl Jam are preparing to hit the road for the first leg of a world tour in support of their self-titled, eighth studio album and debut for J Records, due May 2nd. The month-long string of dates kicks off May 9th in Toronto, and continues through June 3rd, ending with a two-night stand at New Jersey's Continental Airlines Arena.

This is the first major tour for the Seattle rockers since they co-headlined the Vote for Change tour, leading up to the 2004 presidential election. Formed in 1991 and known for their energetic live show, they have since sold sixty million albums, with both their debut Ten and 1993's Vs. hitting multiplatinum status.

However, the group's last effort, 2002's Riot Act, was met with less enthusiasm and only went gold. The band hopes Pearl Jam may introduce them to a whole new audience. "It feels like a new opportunity for us," says guitarist Stone Gossard. "We're proud of the songs, and we think they have a chance to do a little better commercially."

The first single, "World Wide Suicide," penned by frontman Eddie Vedder, hits radio Wednesday. On the same day, the song -- which guitarist Mike McCready has described as "very punky and Who-ish" -- will be made available as a free download on the band's Web site, pearljam.com.

Joining Pearl Jam for the first leg of their tour will be new indie darlings My Morning Jacket. Tickets are currently on sale to the band's fan club members, and public on-sale dates will be announced soon.

Pearl Jam tour dates:

5/9: Toronto, Air Canada Centre

5/10: Toronto, Ontario, Air Canada Centre

5/12: Albany, NY, Pepsi Arena

5/13: Hartford, CT, New England Dodge Music Arena

5/16: Chicago, United Center

5/19: Grand Rapids, MI, Van Andel Arena

5/20: Cleveland, OH, Quicken Loans Arena

5/22: Detroit, Palace of Auburn Hills

5/24: Boston, TD Banknorth Garden

5/27: Philadelphia, Tweeter Waterfront

5/30: Washington, DC, Verizon Center

6/1: East Rutherford, NJ, Continental Airlines Arena

6/3: East Rutherford, NJ, Continental Airlines Arena

MMJ are on the verge of playing larger venues by themselves, so this will be a good test. They won't get swallowed up by the stage because they have a large sound and stage presence. The White Stripes proved that they can effortlessly make the transition to playing large venues.

This is a good bill, but MMJ won't play longer than 30-40 minutes to a smattering of their core fans and a generally uninterested PJ early arriving fanbase.

Edited by Guest

that is correct.

SK was the same deal...i caught them on one of the three shows i was at....

i'm sure i'll do the same with MMJ.

As for the White Stripes, they appeared to show some effort, playing infront of the crowd opening for the Stones in ACC.

The only opening gig i've seen that drew any attention by the Headlining Gigs fans was when the Polyphonic Spree opened for David Bowie...half the ACC was there, listening, and paying attention.

Maybe PJ will give MMJ a little more time to play, due to their popularity? I've heard more about MMJ than any of the previous openers....

that is correct.

As for the White Stripes, they appeared to show some effort, playing infront of the crowd opening for the Stones in ACC.

When they headlined their summer large venue tour last year, the Stripes showed that they could play and deliver, particularily at the Molson Amphitheatre. I was pleasantly surprised.