Jambands.ca

DONALD FAGEN @ MASSEY HALL 3/13/06 SETLIST

TimmyB

Here is the setlist for Donald Fagen's first solo performance in Canada last night in Toronto (Sorry to Ottawa, it should have been there the night before but Fagen cancelled the gig due to illness).

DONALD FAGEN

MASSEY HALL

MON MAR 13, 2006

START TIME 8:14PM

1. Green Flower Street

2. The Nightfly

3. The New Frontier

4. Brite Nitegown

5. Snowbound

6. Home At Last

7. Black Cow

8. What I Do

9. The Goodbye Look

10. Countermoon

11. Misery in the Blues

12. Mary Shut the Garden Door

13. I.G.Y.

14. FM

Encore: 15. Pretzel Logic

16. Viva Viva Rock and Roll

END TIME 10:03PM (Total time 1 hour and 49 minutes)

Here is the setlist for Donald Fagen's first solo performance in Canada last night in Toronto (Sorry to Ottawa, it should have been there the night before but Fagen cancelled the gig due to illness).

The Pretzel Logic encore hurts the most.

Were you there TimmyB?

Figured you were there Timmy, I was kinda looking out for you. We were up in the first balcony row C just a bit to the left. What a stellar show eh? As expected, the precision and timing were mind-blowing. I was told by MH BO that the show was going to end at 10:30, and though that seemed like it would've been long for someone like Donald Fagen, I was a bit disappointed when it ended just after 10pm (only 'cuz I had my hopes up for more Steely Dan tunes). I'm totally inspired to pick up the new album though by the sounds of the new songs that were played...as complex and rhythmic as ever. By the way, did you know any of those players. I thought Freddy Washington sounded really familiar and I tried looking them up on allmusic, but wasn't getting much of anything. And thanks for the setlist - I was hoping one would be forthcoming. See ya at Gilmour! :)

WOW! y'all missed out ('cept mulemomma).

I was there in first row balcony. What a show.

Awsome sound, great vibe and killer band. The audience energy was high as well. Really liked the amount of material from his "Nighfly" album that he played. The opener "Green Flowewr St." was funky as hell. In fact every tune was even funkier than on record.

The band was top drawer as expected. Really liked the addition of Wayne Krantz on guitar. Nice outside and diminished licks, sounding very Scofieldesque. Burnin'! I've only ever seen/hear Wayne Krantz in his own trio setting in NYC. So seeing him with Fagen was a real bonus.

As for the drums...WOW. Kieth Carlock is a beast!. I saw him with Steely Dan on thier "Everything Must go tour 2003", and loved him there. However seeing him in this setting was a real treat. Crackin' backbeats that would give Steve Gadd a run for his money.

As for "Ready Freddie" Washington he was laying down the bottom end hard. he;s another New York session bassists. Top shelf and has appeared on a zillion dates. Fagen knows how to pick the cream of the crop. Freddie Washington's Studio Credits

So far best show this year hands down. Fagen also got two standing O's. That bold for a Toronto crowd. He also did a two song encore, whcih I don't think he has done on the tour yet.

A bargin at twice the price! It's the kind of show that makes you want to go home and practice!

I can't wait for the much rumoured Steely Dan summer tour with Micahel McDonald opening. I'll going to follow that one for sure, no matter the cost.

By god that'll be smooth.

[color:red]All killer and no filler!

fagen.jpg

I feel sorry for all those peeps in Ottawa that missed this tour. I wish I could go to another show today!

P.S. The last tune "Viva Rock'n'Roll" was a Chuck Berry cover. You don't see that everyday.

Edited by Guest

Nice Chameleon, I am extremely jealous.....I saw Krantz with Steely Dan at the amphitheatre in '96....he is a monster. And I second anything there is to say about Carlock(also saw the same blackout rescheduled 2003 show)....incredible.

Edited by Guest

As my good friend MarcO said I was at the Donald Fagen gig, that is how I knew the setlist.

I would write something on the gig as I thought it was fantastic, but I made a commitment to do a review for the Billy Bragg gig that I attended two days before Fagen's so I have to do that first.

I will say this, what a top notch band Fagen had on stage with him. And other than being disappointed that I did not hear "Tomorrow's Girls" from 'Kamakiriad,' I thought the setlist was spectacular.

The new material came off amazingly, espeically since the album didn't come out until the day after the gig, and I only really knew "H Gang" and "What I Do" from online and Fagen didn't even perform "H Gang."

Tim

As my good friend MarcO said I was at the Donald Fagen gig, that is how I knew the setlist.

That makes sense. But I remember you having to choose between this and a potential Steely Dan date later this summer and you were leaning towards the Dan so I wasn't sure.

I think I've seen Tomorrow's Girls and H Gang on other setlists so it looks like there is some tinkering night to night.

Morph is great! I got it from oink a couple of weeks ago and was really warming to it in anticipation of the live show.

As my good friend MarcO said I was at the Donald Fagen gig' date=' that is how I knew the setlist.[/quote']

That makes sense. But I remember you having to choose between this and a potential Steely Dan date later this summer and you were leaning towards the Dan so I wasn't sure.

I think I've seen Tomorrow's Girls and H Gang on other setlists so it looks like there is some tinkering night to night.

Morph is great! I got it from oink a couple of weeks ago and was really warming to it in anticipation of the live show.

Very true ollie, very true.

Yet in the end my good friend Andrew from Club Q scored me free tickets for Donald Fagen, making my decision to go or not to go an easy one.

Tim

oh my, oh my, oh my....

Just by chance he crossed a diamond with a pearl, he turned it one the world, that's how he turned your world around.

Is there gas in the car?

Yes, there's gas in the car?

How can you beat this man? I would have to say the nightfly material is super tight, not to mention black cow, FM and pretzel logic. I had no idea Wayne Krantz was in his band, definitely one of the finest inside/ out outside/in players on the NY scene or otherwise. Jealousy is a warm gun.